How to populate a cell value from the value of another cell

Mikeymike_W

Board Regular
Hi There,

I have a table on a worksheet.
In column C there is a list of ten different Chakras. Each Chakra has four rows in which you can select four different colours; you can choose from 14 different colours using a data validation drop down list. Once this colour is selected i would like the corresponding cell in row D to populate based on the value of column C.

The information for column D is located in Sheet2. In sheet 2 there are ten tables (One for each different chakra) which list the colours for each chakra and the interpretation of that colour for each chakra. So the code would need to look up the colour but also reference the name of the chakra to find the specific info as if it just looked for the colour there are ten sets of data for that colour. The chakra name is located in column A

So for example the foundation chakra:

The name "Foundation" is located in cell A7. Cells C7:C10 can have colours inputted for the foundation chakra. Cells D7:D10 would be populated from the colours chosen in the adjacent C column. In sheet 2 i have a table which is named "foundation" located at C2:D14 (C1:D1 being the headers). Column C holding the names of the colours and column D holding the info I want to extract.

I have done this with a vlookup formula however i dont like how restrictive it makes the cell value.

I hope that makes sense and thank you so much for any help you can provide.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
It would be easier to help if you could post a screen shot of what your data looks like in both sheets? Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com. or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Include a detailed explanation of what you would like to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and worksheets. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back