Hyperlink/Vlookup error: cannot open specified file

bsolomon

Hi,

Pretty new to excel formulas.

I'll lay it all out....

I would like to use (Cell=G18) on my master worksheet to return a usable hyperlink specific to cells in another workbook that has pdf's attached.

In my master workbook, (Cell=G4) has a vlookup formula that returns a result from a the separate workbook. This result is what i'm looking to also show in (Cell=G18).

This is my current formula.
=HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(G4,'[ADAMS PRICE CHART.xlsx]VLOOKUP WORKSHEET'!$A$2:$A$74,1,FALSE))

I'm currently getting an error: cannot open the specified file.

The correct cell information populates.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
I'm a bit confused by the formula. What is the purpose of the VLOOKUP? It seems like you are looking up the value in G4 and returning the same matching value from the VLOOKUP WORKSHEET.
I guess I don't see the difference of just doing =HYPERLINK(G4)
What is the value of G4? Or at least a sanitized version like \\myserver\mpath\myfile.xlsx to help me (and everyone) better understand what is going on here.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. I'm simply googling everything...so my formula is most likely wrong.

I have a worksheet in a separate workbook with all of the information and hyperlinks attached within cells A2:A74. ('[ADAMS PRICE CHART.xlsx]VLOOKUP WORKSHEET'!$A$2:$A$74)

In my master workbook, I cell G18, to match Cell G4's results, but pull the exact information from ('[ADAMS PRICE CHART.xlsx]VLOOKUP WORKSHEET'!$A$2:$A$74) these cells. These cells have the pdf hyperlinks attached.

Sorry if my description is lacking the technical terminology.

I'm a bit confused by the formula. What is the purpose of the VLOOKUP? It seems like you are looking up the value in G4 and returning the same matching value from the VLOOKUP WORKSHEET.
I guess I don't see the difference of just doing =HYPERLINK(G4)
What is the value of G4? Or at least a sanitized version like \\myserver\mpath\myfile.xlsx to help me (and everyone) better understand what is going on here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wayneho98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back