IF and FILTER function in formula

AuDHDtism

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Looking to filter data if in a specific range. I have a summary of chores chart. I have the first column to list type of chore either "Daily" or "Weekly". With daily chores B5:D29. With weekly chores F5:H29.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Please show us a sample of your data and your expected results.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I'm not tech savvy. I downloaded the app XL2BB to be able to post a picture as I am aware that visually seeing what I'm doing will help. It does nothing and many of the features arn't pressable buttons in excel.

I want the formula to be like if data is from B5:D29 mark as "Daily Chore" an d if data is from F5:H29 mark as "Weekly".

Upvote 0
Have you tried using the new FILTER function?
See: FILTER function - Microsoft Support

If you need further help with it, post the formula you tried and we will help you try to fix it (though we may still need to see your data to make sure you have written the formula correctly).

Upvote 0
=IF(S5:U44=B5:D29,"Daily",""),IF(S5:U44<>""=F5:H29,"Weekly","")

=FILTER(S5:U44<>"",IF(S5:U44=B5:D29<>"","Daily",""),IF(F5:H29<>"","Weekly",""))

I've tried these formulas.

I really do appreciate the offer of help.

Upvote 0
So, how is this question different than this one: VSTACK and FILTER functions
or is it really the same question?

Just trying to figure out if you are just trying to apply the logic from the first question and are having issues doing it, or if it is something totally different altogether.

Upvote 0
Because there are different data point. Because the formula for the VSTACK and FILTER functions formula doesn't solve or fix the issue. And that other one was for stac king my one data point on top of the other. This one I want to be able to filter. in my which type of chore column whether its dasily or weekly.

Upvote 0
My first post was on how to use VSTACK and FILTER functions in a formula.

My second post was how gto use IF and FILTER functions in a formula.

There different fuctions in the formulas i need.

VSTACK and FILTER is very different from IF and FILTER.

Upvote 0
This one I want to be able to filter. in my which type of chore column whether its dasily or weekly.

This does not make sense:
Excel Formula:
=IF(S5:U44=B5:D29
you cannot check whole ranges of data by setting them equal to each other.

I am a very visual person, and I am afraid that the explanation of your issue does not fully make sense to me based on your description.
So even if you can only post am image/screen print (since you are not able to use XL2BB), so I can see what your data looks like, I think that would be most helpful.

Basically, the main questions which we hope the images will answer include:
1. Where exactly the data to be filtered resides
2. Where exactly the values you want to filter on reside
3. Where exactly you want the results to go
Hopefully, your images will show that (so be sure to include column and row headers in your pictures).

Upvote 0
So my data from B5:D29 and F5:H29 were filtered and vstavcked into table "summary of chores" (S5:U29). There is a column labeled R5:R29 which I want it to return whether it is from the Daily Chore or weekly chore chart.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back