If And Or formula

Fazila

Board Regular
I know I am missing something really basic here and would be grateful if someone could point out to me what.

If the values in certain subjects are greater than or equal to 4 then I want the formula to return "Y" else "N". The formula I am using is:

=IF(AND(OR(AA2>3,AB2>3),AC2>=4,OR(AD2>=4,AE2>=4,AF2>=4,AG2>=4),OR(AH2>=4,AI2>=4),OR(AJ2>3,AK2>3)),"Y","N")

AAABACADAEAFAGAHAIAJAK
EnglishEnglish LitMathsScienceBiologyPhysicsChemistryGeographyHistoryFrenchSpanish

<tbody>
</tbody>

This should return an N, however, I am getting Y. When I entered 0 into AJ and AK I got the value N. How can I adapt the formula to equate blank cells to a value of 0.

Thanks for your help.

Fazila

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
What is difference in your example of >3 and >=4, why is it not consistent? 4 is > 3 and 4 is >=4

Below gives me "N" for your example and "Y" if I add a value of 4 or more to any empty cell in range AA2:AK2
Code:
=IF(--(--(OR(AA2>3,AB2>3))+--(AC2>3)+--(OR(AD2>3,AE2>3,AF2>3,AG2>3))+--(OR(AH2>3,AI2>3))+--(OR(AJ2>3,AK2>3))>3),"Y","N")

What about art subjects like music, drama or art?

If 1 represents "Y" and 0 represents "N" then you can shorten formula to:
Code:
=--(--(OR(AA2>3,AB2>3))+--(AC2>3)+--(OR(AD2>3,AE2>3,AF2>3,AG2>3))+--(OR(AH2>3,AI2>3))+--(OR(AJ2>3,AK2>3))>3)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like you might have formulas in AA2:AK2, or at least some of those cells, and those 'blank' cells might contain "". Is that correct?

If so, could you change those formulas so that they return 0 instead of ""?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrish

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back