IF [find value in a column] THEN [copy values from multiple different columns] with VBA

bobbyj1234

Hi,

I am new to this Forum and very new to using VBA in excel, so please excuse my lack of proper vocabulary or knowledge.

I am a film editor and we have EDLs that show us all of the cuts in a film with time codes in and out - an excel workbook of the movie. We have a separate document called an ALE, which shows all of the info for each clip - without the time codes in and out. More of an excel key. When an EDL is created we are limited to an 8 character identifier, therefore we create 6-8 character codes to represent clips. These clips are used in multiple locations and can be present in the worksheet in 20 - 30 different rows if the clip is used multiple times in the film:

ES_2232M
ES_2235M
ES_2240M
ES_2309
ES_2241
ES_2034

These codes then need to be replaced by the clip's full name:

ES_2232M_NationalGeographic_118799_19351111.jpg
ES_2235M_NationalGeographic_530520_19351111.jpg
ES_2240M_NationalGeographic_581958_19351111.jpg
ES_2309_NationalGeographic_259913_19351111.jpg
ES_2241_NationalGeographic_1002867_19351111.jpg
ES_2034_NationalGeographic_259913_19351111.jpg

I have used this VBA to copy over the clip's full names correctly: (does require making two columns with the code and file name)

Attribute VB_Name = "Module1"Sub MultiFindNReplace()
'Update 20140722
Dim Rng As Range
Dim InputRng As Range, ReplaceRng As Range
xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel"
Set InputRng = Application.Selection
Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Original Range ", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8)
Set ReplaceRng = Application.InputBox("Replace Range :", xTitleId, Type:=8)
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each Rng In ReplaceRng.Columns(1).Cells
InputRng.Replace what:=Rng.Value, replacement:=Rng.Offset(0, 1).Value
Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
In addition to the clip name, there are 17 columns of data in the ALE. Is there any way to copy the 17 columns of data while replacing the clip identifier?

I am open to having 2 different VBA as well. I would assume that this is very similar to a VLookup but I am looking for something a little more automated. Any help is much appreciated. And once again, excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject, and happy to try to explain in more detail.

Thanks,
Bobby J

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Don't know if this helps but, to copy from one workbook to another:
Code:
Workbooks(2).Sheets(1).Range("A1:Q1").Copy Workbooks(1).Range("A1")
Would copy 17 columns on row 1 of workbook 2 to the first row of workbook 1 starting in column A. You only need the anchor cell in the destination workbook when using this copy method. Also the workbook and sheet names should be used instead of the index numbers, since the index numbers are subject to variation depending on several scenarios. But the point is that you could add a line of code to your current macro to copy the data from one workbook to the other.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mparcado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back