IF help

andrewb90

Hello,

I am trying to see if there is some variation of the IF formula. What I am trying to accomplish is that IF C5 has a time of less than 3:00 then I would like to return a value of 'beginner'. If C5 has a time of less than 2:00 then 'average' and then less then 1:30 would return as 'expert'

I hope this makes sense.

thanks,

Andrew

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I think this would work (two nested ifs) - going in order from expert to beginner is one way to shortcut the evaluation so that you can stop when a limit value is hit:

=IF(C5<TIMEVALUE("1:30:00"),"Expert",IF(C5<TIMEVALUE("2:00:00"),"Average","Beginner"))

Upvote 0
that looks good, but if I wanted to add a 4th or 5th variable, how would I? (ex. under 1:00 is "master")

Upvote 0
Thanks, Xenou. I took your original formula and just kept adding nested ifs to make it work for me. I was about to ask how to make the cell display nothing if nothing was in my other cell, but I added that in as well! :cool::cool::cool: Here is what I ended up with:
Code:
=IF(D24=TIMEVALUE("0:00:00")," ",IF(D24<=TIMEVALUE("0:23:00"),"Grand Master",IF(D24<=TIMEVALUE("0:26:00"),"Master",IF(D24<=TIMEVALUE("0:30:00"),"Expert",IF(D24<TIMEVALUE("0:38:00"),"Above Avg",IF(D24<=TIMEVALUE("0:42:00"),"Average",IF(D24<=TIMEVALUE("0:49:00"),"Below Avg",IF(D24<=TIMEVALUE("1:19:00"),"Beginner",IF(D24<=TIMEVALUE("1:35:00"),"Probie",IF(D24>TIMEVALUE("1:35:00"),"Epic Failure!"," "))))))))))

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qh017

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back