IF/OR

sgpeters

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me with this one, I don't think the experts will have too much trouble...

I am trying to create a formula where cell A1 is a dropdown with 4 values "Walk" "Run" "Mountain Cycle" "Road Cycle".

IF cell A1 is equal to "Walk" I need a number in cell B1 to multiply by 1.5. BUT
IF cell A1 is equal to "Run" I need a number in cell B1 to multiply by 1. BUT
IF cell A1 is equal to "Mountain Cycle" I need a number in cell B1 to divide by 2. BUT
IF cell A1 is equal to "Road Cycle" I need a number in cell B1 to divide by 3.

I am usually quite good with my trial and error method but I think I have confused myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
do you want the actual value thats typed into b1 to be changed by the factor - where is the number in b1 entered
i think you will need VBA otherwise
If it can be in a different cell like C1 then you can use a NESTED IF() to use the factors based on A1
=IF( A1 = "walk", B1*1.5, IF( A1 = "Run", B1, IF ( A1 = "Mountain Cycle", B1/2 , If( A1 = "Road Cycle", B1/3 , "Error in A1", ))))
Do you still have excel version 2013 - as shown in your profile ? if so then a Nested IF , if the number can be put in a different cell
otherwise you need an expert here with VBA - not something i post solutions to currently, my VBA is from the 90's

Upvote 0
I should have said, the formula would go into cell C1.
do you want the actual value thats typed into b1 to be changed by the factor - where is the number in b1 entered
i think you will need VBA otherwise
If it can be in a different cell like C1 then you can use a NESTED IF() to use the factors based on A1
Do you still have excel version 2013 - as shown in your profile ? if so then a Nested IF , if the number can be put in a different cell
otherwise you need an expert here with VBA - not something i post solutions to currently, my VBA is from the 90's
I should have said... The formula will go in Cell C1 :)

Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to the forum, here's one option you could try.

Excel Formula:
=CHOOSE(MATCH(A1,{"Walk","Run","Mountain Cycle","Road Cycle"},0),B1*1.5,B1,B1/2,B1/3)

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back