IF Statements How can I shorten this formula

willro

I have been trying to create a spreadsheet that will look up references in in multiple tables in the worrkbook. I have come to a problem with IF statements. I have reached the maximum IF's I can use, however I need to reference three more tables, as well as it needs to differentiate between males and females. In other words with respect to males and females I need it to reference two different sets of tables.....Please help. If you need more infoplease just let me know.

This is the formula:

=IF(BD4>8.99,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!AB4:AC51,2),IF(BD4>7.99,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!Y4:Z51,2),IF(BD4>7.49,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!V4:W51,2),IF(BD4>6.99,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!S4:T51,2),IF(BD4>6.49,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!P4:Q51,2),IF(BD4>5.99,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!M4:N51,2),IF(BD4>5.49,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!J4:K51,2),0)))))))

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
it doesn't shorten it, but you can use more than 7 ifs as long as you don't embed them all

your formula could be converted to

= IF(BD4>5.99,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
IF(BD4>8.99,<o:p></o:p>
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!AB4:AC51,2),<o:p></o:p>
IF(BD4>7.99,<o:p></o:p>
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!Y4:Z51,2),<o:p></o:p>
IF(BD4>7.49,<o:p></o:p>
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!V4:W51,2),<o:p></o:p>
IF(BD4>6.99,<o:p></o:p>
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!S4:T51,2),<o:p></o:p>
IF(BD4>6.49,<o:p></o:p>
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!P4:Q51,2),<o:p></o:p>
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!M4:N51,2)))))),<o:p></o:p>
IF(BD4>5.49,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!J4:K51,2),
if
if
))))

would still work

or you could make a lookup table using bd4 as your lookup value and set your male female as columns 2 or three

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I appreciate your attempt on the formula, however there is a problem with it. When I input it into the cell excel says that there is an error with it. How can I fix it???

Upvote 0
probably there is a parenthesis error I did not verify I had the right number of () for everything. Also did you add the appropriate ifs?

did it give a hint as to where the error was and what it was or just one of everything highlighted.

I often have problems copying formulas from the forum and pasting into excel. Most of the time I must at least replace the equal sign and a lot of times remerge formulas which paste into several cells. Parenthesis disappear during the copy paste, and a lot of times other computer code shows up during the paste.

Upvote 0
Make a table like this:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 96pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=2 width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right width=64 height=17 x:num>5.49</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right width=64 x:num>0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right height=17 x:num>5.99</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right height=17 x:num>6.49</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>6</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right height=17 x:num>6.99</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>9</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right height=17 x:num>7.49</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>12</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right height=17 x:num>7.99</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>15</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right height=17 x:num>8.99</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>18</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

and name it Table using Insert|Name|Define.

Then you can use the formula:

=VLOOKUP(BE4,OFFSET(Sheet1!$J$4:$J$51,0,VLOOKUP(BD4,Table,2),,2),2)

Upvote 0
wsjackman: Thank you, it has worked. How ever I need to throw one more variable into this mix. Now I need for this formula to separate between boys and girls(I am a teacher). How would you propose I do this???

Andrew: I attempted your way with the chart however I don't think my limited knowledge could really comprehend how to do this.

This was the final outcome for the function:
=IF(BD4>5.99,
IF(BD4>8.99,
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!AB4:AC51,2),
IF(BD4>7.99,
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!Y4:Z51,2),
IF(BD4>7.49,
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!V4:W51,2),
IF(BD4>6.99,
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!S4:T51,2),
IF(BD4>6.49,
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!P4:Q51,2),
VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!M4:N51,2)))))),
IF(BD4>5.49,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!J4:K51,2),
IF(BD4>4.99,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!G4:H51,2),
IF(BD4>4.49,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!D4:E51,2),IF(BD4>3.99,VLOOKUP(BE4,Sheet1!A4:B51,2)
)))))

Upvote 0
what do you want done differently if it is girls or boys?

how do you designate which you are working with?

Upvote 0
There are two sets of charts, one for boys and one for girls. The function you previously helped me with is essentiall just for boys I will create another function for girls, how can I account for them in the same cell.
As far as designation I can I am open to suggestion.

Upvote 0
one method would be to make a similar formula for girls if this one is for boys

set up a column to indicate boys or girls

maybe bc

the formula would then be

=if(bc4="B",boys formula,girls formula)

I like andrew's table but am not sure it would meet your needs, as I assume BE will be different for each row

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolasmith

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back