Import text function taking significantly longer than usual?

Beyond_avarice

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I hope somebody can help me with a recent issue involving the import of text data.

Excel 2013 Professional Plus 32bit, Windows 7.

I have a workbook that I have scripted to import a General Ledger Detail, in CSV format, categorize the data and populate it out to about a dozen worksheets(within same workbook) that use pivot tables and other details to reconcile the account. The GL detail is typically between 4k-7k rows and 33 columns of data; every month. My worksheet is currently at 195k rows.

Typically the script will perform all of these actions in one minute. This month it appeared non-responsive and I suspected that the data or something within my script was causing an endless loop scenario. I attempted to run this script on a prior workbook and had no problems. I attempted to walk through the script and it would become nonresponsive, at the point of executing the text import. I attempted to do a manual text import and experienced the same problem. I performed a manual test with only ten rows of GL detail and the import took a minute. I attempted with 100 rows and it took about three minutes. I no longer suspect that my script is the issue.

The only immediate discernible difference between my current workbook and the prior is the file size. My current workbook is 57 mbs and the prior was 52mbs.

I find it hard to believe that a few mbs difference could be causing an issue with text import functions. My script clears out the Querytables and Connections after each import.

Has anyone experienced this or possibly know of a remedy? I don’t want to copy and paste and then go into the script to tell it where the append row is; every month.

Thank you

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Bump 1 of 2. Hoping someone can help. Will bump again(final) tomorrow if no response.

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
It appears that there is some difference with your actual data, not the volume.

You said it took 3 mins to pull in 100 rows of the current data - have you tried the same thing with 100 rows of the previous data, to see how long that takes? If it significantly quicker, then I would start to look at your data and see what has changed...are there extra spaces?...is something missing/added?

Upvote 0
Excellent suggestion. I just attempted that and unfortunately I am getting the same results. I was able to pull the current data into a prior workbook and even was able to do this in new workbook; in a time that I would expect.

There just seems to be something going on with this workbook and I really don't want to start with a prior workbook; as I have a lot of work done in this one.

That I was great suggestion though.

Upvote 0
Can you try the same thing in a brand new WB? See if the problem is still there

Upvote 0
So then it would appear that the problem lies with that WB.

I understand you have done a lot of work on it, but apparently something that you did, has caused the current problem. Can you (easily?) trace your steps of step-by-step recreate that file again?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back