Include cell in formula only if it DOES NOT ITSELF contain a formula

puke

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all. I'm brand new so please excuse any errors. I'm using 2007 for Windows. I have a range of cells containing measurements that I want to take the AVERAGE(...) difference of. However, I miss measurements sometimes, so some of those cells are actual verified measurements that I took, and some are AVERAGE(...)s of the cells to the left and right of them [for completeness' sake and to make my graphs pretty]. For instance:

A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
1Measurement 1
181.2​
182.1​
182.2​
182​
182.5​
2Measurement 2
183​
184​
=AVERAGE(C2,E2)
183.8​
184.2​
3Difference:
1.8​
1.9​
1.8​
1.7​
4Average Difference:
1.78​
5(True Average, Excluding Formulas):
1.8​

Makes sense, right? Well, I would like to get an overall AVERAGE(...) for the difference of all my measurements, but only the truly calculated ones. So I want to exclude the cells which contain a formula (or rather, in this case, which are derived from cells with a formula).

Is this possible? I'm willing to go the VBA route, but would prefer not to (only because my macro-enabled workbooks always seem to crash or do funny stuff).

Thank you very much for your help.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Perhaps this:

Excel Formula:
=AVERAGE(IF(ISFORMULA(G3:G6),,G3:G6))

Change G3:G6 to suit your data.

Upvote 1
Perhaps this:

Excel Formula:
=AVERAGE(IF(ISFORMULA(G3:G6),,G3:G6))

Change G3:G6 to suit your data.
Thanks for the reply. That would work perfectly, but ISFORMULA(...) is not available in Excel 2007.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. That would work perfectly, but ISFORMULA(...) is not available in Excel 2007.
Might need to use VBA then.
Is that an option?

(BTW, I REALLY recommend upgrading to 365. Some of the new functions are awesome!)

Upvote 1
My apologies. I should brush up on what is available in each version.

Upvote 0
Might need to use VBA then.
Is that an option?

(BTW, I REALLY recommend upgrading to 365. Some of the new functions are awesome!)
I might have to go with VBA. Probably this solution implementation: Excel IsFormula Function Alternative Formula

Unless there's some trick I could do with conditional formatting or something? Maybe I'll do it manually lol

I purchased and installed 365 for a month because I needed to use a specific plug-in application. It literally almost bricked my Spectre x360 13 - the battery zapped all the way down and wouldn't charge; had to keep it plugged in. I don't want those always-online processes running either (yes, I know Windows 10 has plenty of its own already...)

Upvote 0
I might have to go with VBA. Probably this solution implementation: Excel IsFormula Function Alternative Formula
Yes, that is one option I was thinking of. Or just loop through all the cells, calculate the averages, and hard-coded the missint values.

Unless there's some trick I could do with conditional formatting or something? Maybe I'll do it manually lol
Conditional Formatting cannot return values. It can only be used to change the formats of cells (color, bolding, etc).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back