Increase/Decrease Decimal stopped working

excelkarlsson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So since friday my excel is acting up. If i try to decrease/ increase decimal this happens
1648461967420.png

If i try to change a cell from general to number it instead moves the decimal point two steps 1.234>>0.01, 12.34>>0.12 etc.
If i change my system comma separator from dot to comma everything starts working again.
Anyone know a solution?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I have seen anything like this.

Let's check a few things:
1. Does it only happen on this one file, or all files (if you open a new blank file, does it still do this)?
2. If you re-boot your computer, does it still do this?
3. What are your regional setting, specifically, your indicators for decimals and the thousands separator for numbers?
4. How are the cells with the numbers in them you are trying this on formatted?
5. Why does your Excel format look strange (black header)?
6. What is "IFS Applications"? Do you have some Third Party Add-Ins installed? Have you tried disabling them momentarily and see if that fixes it?
7. Did you change or install anything just before this issue starting happening?

Upvote 0
I have seen anything like this.

Let's check a few things:
1. Does it only happen on this one file, or all files (if you open a new blank file, does it still do this)?
2. If you re-boot your computer, does it still do this?
3. What are your regional setting, specifically, your indicators for decimals and the thousands separator for numbers?
4. How are the cells with the numbers in them you are trying this on formatted?
5. Why does your Excel format look strange (black header)?
6. What is "IFS Applications"? Do you have some Third Party Add-Ins installed? Have you tried disabling them momentarily and see if that fixes it?
7. Did you change or install anything just before this issue starting happening?
Thanks for your reply!
1. all files
2. yes, restarting does nothing
3. System: swedish with dot as decimal separator. In Excel i have tried both follow system and forcing it to dot. It should be noted that if i switch the system decimal or the Excel decimal to comma it works perfect again.
4. i have tried every format i can think of. If i have a number say 1234 in a cell it is formatted as general. If i then try to force it to number it instead becomes 12.34
5. darkmode, file>options>general>office theme
6. document handling system, cannot be disabled
7. no it was working fine for a few days after my newest install then Excel crashed over the weekend and when i started it back up it was acting this way

Upvote 0
1- Try ctrl-1 to see whether "custom format" has been applied?
2- Try to check "Conditional formating?

Upvote 0
1- Try ctrl-1 to see whether "custom format" has been applied?
2- Try to check "Conditional formating?
1. yes it transforms anything i try to edit to a custom format. If i put 1234 in a cell then change from general to number i receive 12.34 and the format is changed to custom
2. no conditional formatting present

Upvote 0
Hi all,

The issue have been resolved, i believe it was on a company level rather than software issue. It seems the region setting of Sweden was clashing with the decimal separator (it should not be the case)
By changing region to UK and changing system decimal separator it is now working as intended again (at least for now).
Thank you for your time and efforts

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back