Incremental increase by week when the total for month is known

Redsohare

I have been a long time lurker of MrExcel, but have always been able to find the answer to my question within the forums. However, I am stumped. I am trying to create a pivot table that will show incremental goals by week, when I have a set goal for the month already. However, I don't want to do a straight average across all the weeks in a month. I would like to see it continually grow during the month. How can i mathmatically do that in Excel?

For example:

Jim had 191 sales leads in the last week of the month in December. Of those 191, he closed 29 of them, for a 15.2% close rate. I want to see him raise that by 6% by next December, so (6%/12 (# months) = .5%). He will need to increase his close rate to 15.7% by the end of January. So, for the month of January, we expect 955 sales leads (5*191) and 149.935 (15.7% of 955) closed. However, I don't want to say Week 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 in January should all have 29.987 closes, I would like to be able to say week 1 = 25, week 2 = 27 week 3 = 30 week 4 = 32 and week 5 = 34, but have that incremental increase to total 149.935.

There is (sadly) no changing the percents, or the closed leads number. These have already been submitted and aproved. I just have to be able to let people see the goals by week now, but if they want to see the monthly goal, it must equal what has been approved.

I am totally at a loss, and pulling my hair out, and I *know* it has to be possible. I just can't wrap my brain around it. I think I've been looking at it too long.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
If you have an arithmetic progression with N values, total T, and increment i, then the first value needs to be (2T - N (N-1) i) / 2N

e.g. for five values adding to 150 with increment 2 (say), first term is (2x150 - 5x4x2) / (2x5) = 26
and values are 26, 28, 30, 32, 34.

Similarly, for five values adding to 150 with increment 4 (say), first term is (2x150 - 5x4x4) / (2x5) = 22
and values are 22, 26, 30, 34, 38

Upvote 0
Not sure I follow but maybe try this...

6%/ 52 weeks = 0.115384615384615% increase/week

So increase the weekly percentage by the above amount.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back