Index Match Array New Formula not an array ?

fasullo

Is there anyway to recreate this formula w/o it being an array ?

{=IF(C3="","",IFERROR(INDEX('Master List'!$B$1:$B$2000,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH('Master List'!$A$1:$A$2000,C3)),0)),"ADD TO MASTER"))}

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Can you explain what your goal is with this formula?

It appears to be doing this:

Look up the first partial match for cell C3 in the whole of column A, and return the value in column B for the same row.

What is an example of this?

Upvote 0
Does this work?

=IF(C3="","",IFERROR(INDEX('Master List'!$B$1:$B$2000, SUMPRODUCT(ROW(INDIRECT("1:2000")), 1-ISERROR(FIND(C3, 'Master List'!$A$1:$A$2000)))),"ADD TO MASTER"))

Upvote 0
Does this work?

=IF(C3="","",IFERROR(INDEX('Master List'!$B$1:$B$2000, SUMPRODUCT(ROW(INDIRECT("1:2000")), 1-ISERROR(FIND(C3, 'Master List'!$A$1:$A$2000)))),"ADD TO MASTER"))

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I get a different result from this formula, as from the Op's. With this Indirect, I am always getting the value in B1.

Upvote 0
You're right - it's returning the first row when there is no match... not much you can do about that, it's normal INDEX behavior.

You can use this longer version; it's uglier, but still not an array.

=IF(C3="","",IFERROR(INDEX('Master List'!$B$1:$B$2000, IF(0=SUMPRODUCT(ROW(INDIRECT("1:2000")), 1-ISERROR(FIND(C3, 'Master List'!$A$1:$A$2000))),NA(),SUMPRODUCT(ROW(INDIRECT("1:2000")), 1-ISERROR(FIND(C3, 'Master List'!$A$1:$A$2000))))),"ADD TO MASTER"))

Why don't you want an array?

Upvote 0
thanks guys. seems like an array is the easiest formula. not a fan of arrays not as user friendly and can take more computing power

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edwin_SVRZ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back