Index match formula to VBA Macro

norman_bunch

Hello Board,

I am not very up to speed on using VBA Macro's and was wondering if I could get some help. I have an Index match formula that I would like to be able to use in VBA. I would like for this macro to work on the entire workbook of selected active sheets and populate a column with the values found. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Normally this would be placed in column BX8:BX78.
=INDEX('Cover Sheet'!AA46:AA69,MATCH(BE8&BB8,'Cover Sheet'!D46:D69&'Cover Sheet'!L46:L69,0))

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Try:
Code:
Range("BX8:BX78").Formula = "=INDEX('Cover Sheet'!$AA$46:$AA$69,MATCH(BE8&BB8,'Cover Sheet'!$D$46:$D$69&'Cover Sheet'!$L$46:$L$69,0))"

Upvote 0
Try:
Code:
Range("BX8:BX78").Formula = "=INDEX('Cover Sheet'!$AA$46:$AA$69,MATCH(BE8&BB8,'Cover Sheet'!$D$46:$D$69&'Cover Sheet'!$L$46:$L$69,0))"
Hello Shrivallabha
I have tried the above code and I get #### in the cell. I have tried adding {} to the code and then it just gives me the formula in the cell. If I run the code and then go to that cell and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter it works giving me the value. Would you happen to know what would be causing this?

Upvote 0
Hello Shrivallabha
I have tried the above code and I get #### in the cell. I have tried adding {} to the code and then it just gives me the formula in the cell. If I run the code and then go to that cell and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter it works giving me the value. Would you happen to know what would be causing this?
Its an ARRAY formula and I missed it:
Code:
Range("BX8:BX78").FormulaArray = "=INDEX('Cover Sheet'!$AA$46:$AA$69,MATCH(BE8&BB8,'Cover Sheet'!$D$46:$D$69&'Cover Sheet'!$L$46:$L$69,0))"

Upvote 0
Code:
Range("BX8:BX78").FormulaArray = "=INDEX('Cover Sheet'!$AA$46:$AA$69,MATCH(BE8&BB8,'Cover Sheet'!$D$46:$D$69&'Cover Sheet'!$L$46:$L$69,0))"
Thanks Shrivallabha! That seems to do just what I wanted it to do. I was wondering, Is there a way to use this if cells are merged? Example BX1 and BX2, BX3 and BX4, and so on down the column. Also, what would I need to add to the above code to take out the #N/A and leave the columns blank?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks Shrivallabha! That seems to do just what I wanted it to do. I was wondering, Is there a way to use this if cells are merged? Example BX1 and BX2, BX3 and BX4, and so on down the column. Also, what would I need to add to the above code to take out the #N/A and leave the columns blank?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
From what I have read and been reading on forums like these, VBA and Formula get crippled by merged cells. So it is not good practice.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys
I have a similar issue. Mine is not an array one though and my code looks like this
Code:
IndexNum = Range("b3")
Range("b4").Formula = "Index('Sheet2'!A:A), IndexNum,TRUE)"

but cell B4 always has Index('Sheet2'!$A$2:$A$546), IndexNum,0) and never the result of the formula why is this

Upvote 0
Try

Code:
IndexNum = Range("b3").Value
Range("b4").Formula = "=Index('Sheet2'!A:A)," & IndexNum & ",TRUE)"

Upvote 0
Hi Peter

No, that didnt work...
fyi this is my complete code (amended with your code) as it is part of a spinbutton. For some wierd reason it randomly jumps up or down 2,3 or 4 integers. but it did this before your ammendment
Code:
Private Sub SpinButton1_SpinDown()
On Error Resume Next
Range("b3").Value = Range("b3").Value - 1
Range("b4").Formula = "=Index(('Sheet2'!A:A)," & IndexNum & ",TRUE)"
End Sub

Private Sub SpinButton1_SpinUp()
On Error Resume Next
Range("b3").Value = Range("b3").Value + 1
Range("b4").Formula = "=Index(('Sheet2'!A:A)," & IndexNum & ", TRUE)"
End Sub

update
=====
after spotting my two typos the code now works apart from the random jumps of increment that are driving me insane

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:

hi

i know this has been posted a looong time ago..but it is something that i need. where do i actually put the code and run it?

thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mari_mariou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back