Index & Match Function with Multiple References and Multiple Solutions

tttmeyer

Hi,

I'm attempting to find a solution to the overcome the problem of having multiple solutions when using an array function with index and match functions. To start, here is a data set example (A1:C7):

<style>table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl63 { font-weight: 700; border: 0.5pt solid windowtext; }.xl64 { border: 0.5pt solid windowtext; }</style>
NetworkTypeShow
ABCComedyJimmy Kimmel Live
ABCSitcomCastle
ABCMovieTop Gun
CBSSitcomThe Good Wife
CBSSitcomNCIS
CBSNews60 Minutes

<colgroup><col style="width:65pt" width="65"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4266; width:100pt" span="2" width="100"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Below is the new form I'm seeking to create using the following function (or relevant variation) in cells B14:E15. This is the function in cell B14.

=IFERROR(INDEX($C$2:$C$7,MATCH(1,($A$2:$A$7=$A14)*($B$2:$B$7=B$13),0)),"N/A")

<style>table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl63 { font-weight: 700; border: 0.5pt solid windowtext; }.xl64 { border: 0.5pt solid windowtext; }</style>
Network
Comedy
SitcomMovieNews
ABCJimmy Kimmel Live
CastleTop GunN/A
CBSN/A
The Good WifeN/A60 Minutes

<colgroup><col style="width:65pt" width="65"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4266; width:100pt" span="2" width="100"> <col style="width:65pt" span="2" width="65"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
The formula works great except in the cases where I have multiple solutions,
such as Row 6 of the data set. How do I pull in information for Row 6 as well (and
other solution Rows)? I'm guessing I need to use the concatenate function for a single cell
solution or create a second set of Type cells to pull the next solution, but I'm not sure
how to do either. Any suggestions?

Ultimately, I'd like the final product to look like this like the chart below. See cell C3.

Network
Comedy
Sitcom
MovieNews
ABCJimmy Kimmel Live
Castle
Top GunN/A
CBSN/A
The Good Wife, NCIS
N/A60 Minutes

<tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col><col span="2"><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Thanks!

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back