Index Match: How to look left and upward until non-blank value is returned from

Alex50095

I've got data in sort of a directory tree layout (See picture)

Basically I want to use one code as a reference and have excel look upwards in the respective columns to display how the previous levels.

Currently I have an index which tells me exactly what code is what, but I want to setup a lookup tool (See image below) that shows me all levels at once.

So putting for a level 4 code, I want to use formulas that will lookup the level 3, 2, and 1 code. For a level 3 code, I want it to lookup the level 2 and 1 code.

Any help/tips will be greatly appreciated!
-Alex

jkp1QvV.png

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
It would be easier if you just duplicated the Level 1 to 3 data down the columns, like a database record. That's how Excel thinks.

Upvote 0
It's originally in a CSV. I did quite a bit of manipulating to get it in that form. There are 10,000+ lines of data so I was hoping there would be some way to index match (or other way) of returning the value I need. It seems so simple to me.... Start at this row and look upwards in this column until you reach a value..... But it seems it's not so simple.

I looked into OFFSET formulas but the number of "upward steps" I have to take to return the parent value is going to be different for each code.

Upvote 0
OK 1 more question: will the output table 'Code' column values be static? Meaning you're just matching the remaining data in the other columns to a unique index of known 'Code' values?

Upvote 0
In the lookup tool, the CODE field is just what the Index-Match will use as the lookup code. It will lookup the value I type in there and check it against the SFS Code column.

Upvote 0
It would be easier if you just duplicated the Level 1 to 3 data down the columns, like a database record. That's how Excel thinks.

Could you expound on this? Do you mean have the Level 3 directly to the left of the applicable level 4 code?

If possible I'd like to keep the structure of the "Tree" intact. I know If I did that I could just use a regular index match to retrieve what I want, but I was hoping for a cleverer solution (looking up from a reference point until reaching a value). Also I'd just like to see if this is possible as a learning experience.

To clarify about the "tool". The bottom table is one that I filled in the values myself, but would like to have automatically fill upon entering the code.

Thanks for the responses,
-Alex

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyDarR

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back