INDEX/MATCH multiple criteria - formula not working as expected

Jadelyn

Hi all,

I have two tables in a workbook. The first table has names and dates of birth (among other things) and the second table has names, DOBs, a few other things, and effective dates for an insurance policy. I'm trying to use index/match to check for a person by name/DOB and return "Y" if their coverage effective date was 1/1/2015. The formula I'm using is:
Code:
{=IF(INDEX(Table2[EFFECTIVE_DATE],MATCH(1,([@[Dependent Name]]=Table2[Name])*([@DOB]=Table2[DATE_OF_BIRTH]),0))=1/1/2015,"Y","")}

This is based off of several posts/articles/etc I've read that explained using an array formula to check multiple criteria in an index/match formula. When I use this formula, if it doesn't find the person who has both name and DOB matching the main sheet (meaning they aren't on the second sheet), it returns "#N/A" - which I'm fine with, I can add error handling later if I want to. The problem is that if it does find the person with the right name/DOB combo, regardless of what their policy effective date actually is, it returns blank, as if it isn't finding anyone whose effective date is 1/1/15; I've manually looked and found several "test people" who do have the 1/1/15 date but are still returning a blank in the formula column.

I've tried checking/rechecking the formatting on the date columns in both sheets to make sure they're dates and not text strings. I've tried with and without double-quotes around the date in my formula. I've made sure I'm doing C-S-E for the array formula. I've tried using DATE/DATEVALUE in place of just having the date itself in the formula. I have no idea why either the INDEX/MATCH formula seems entirely incapable of returning 1/1/15 as a value, or why the IF part of the formula seems entirely incapable of parsing that 1/1/15=1/1/15 and returning the "true" result I've set it up to return. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hi,

Try this slightly changed formula:

Book1
C
2N
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2{=IF(INDEX(Table2[effective_date],MATCH(1,((Table2[dependent_name]=[@NAME])*(Table2[Date_of_birth]=[@DOB])),0))=DATE(2015,1,1),"Y","N")}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back