Index Match/Vlookup column headers based on given value

rodmic

Hello again!

I have come across another problem with excel i'm hoping for a solution from all the excel experts here :)

So i have a report to prepare and the data is huge. Here's an overview of what the report data contains:

1.10000 assets
2. Each asset has a Classification: eg AssetNumber 10001 has classification AAA,10002 has classification BBB,10003 has class AAA etc.
3. Each Classification has different set of Attributes: Eg Classification AAA has 10 Attributes, Classification BBB has 8 attributes and so on

My report has:
1. Each asset on one row, with each classification attribute as a header:
eg
AssetNumber|Classification|Attribute1|Attribute2|Attribute3 and so on TILL ATTRIBUTE 10
10001 AAA MECH Steel 250KV
AssetNumber|Classification|Attribute1|Attribute2|Attribute3 and so on TILL ATTRIBUTE 8
10002 BBB CIVIL PLASTIC 250Kv

My data for above report comes from another sheet where i have a unique id created to index and match above data.

My problem is, i need a way to fix the formula to look up the Classification and Attributes from the original data sheet,match it to the assetnumber in the report sheet and output the value of the attribute.

Right now i have to go to each cell and paste the formula for each classification!! ie: go to Attribute1 of assetnumber 10001 and paste formulas to look up (Assetnumer&Classification&Attribute1) (50 assets down copy and paste formula)
go to Attribute1 of assetnumber 10002 and paste formula (Assetnumer&Classification&Attribute1) (20 assets down copy and paste formula)

I have over 10000 assets to do this to :(

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Let me see if i can make this more understandable
I have the formula to get my values, however lets say
attribute 1 comes on cell E1, 50 rows down attribute1 will come on E50, i need my formula to automatically look up E50 when i paste my formula in it. What happens now is that my formula (which i copy from E1) still refers to E1 and not E50 when i paste it in E50!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back