Indirect Function in an array formula

Eagle96

Hi

I am using an array function to sum values if any one of a criteria in my criteria array is a match (note it's an or not and AND requirement). The purpose being to roll up the values of multiple account identifiers into a more simplified list of accounts.

The array =SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(IF(MATCH([testfile.xlsx]sheet1!$A$11:$A$400,AU18:AY18,0)>0,1,0),0),[testfile.xlsx]sheet1!$C$11:$C$400)
correctly calculates the values I need (AU:AY contains the account identifiers that form my sum criteria, column A in my other workbook contains the full list of account IDs and column C the values I want to sum).

However ideally I would like it to reference a dynamic range so that the user can easily just update their file and worksheet names. I know they will throw their arms in the air as soon as they hit the "you can't change an array" message otherwise! So I have been trying without success to use the indirect function. I've attempted it longhand and get ref errors so I also tried it just referencing single cells which have a text formula containing the name.
i.e.

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col></colgroup>
BA7 = [testfile.xlxs]sheet1!$A11:$A400
& BA8 = [testfile.xlxs]sheet1!$C11:$C400

& the formula I'm using in my column (after pressing ctrl shift enter) is
=SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(IF(MATCH(INDIRECT($BA$7),AU18:AY18,0)>0,1,0),0),INDIRECT($BA$8))

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col></colgroup>
The values being returned though are all based on AU18:AY18 (and not AU19:AY19, AU20:AY20 etc. as you move down the column). It seems like the indirect is locking in this row also when I only want the indirect to apply to the reference to the other workbook.

Please help! What have I missed?

Alternatively is there a more elegant solution? I was initially using loops in vba to cycle from AU to AY and add the results and then move down the column, however I couldn't get the column to not be a sum of all the preceding columns so gave up on that method temporarily..

Thanks in advance!!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi Eagle,

Suggest you to read about the limitations of Indirect function:-

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/INDIRECT-function-474b3a3a-8a26-4f44-b491-92b6306fa261

relevant extract below:-
If ref_text refers to another workbook (an external reference), the other workbook must be open. If the source workbook is not open, INDIRECT returns the #REF! error value.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/offset-indirect-match-function-limitation-on-linked-worksheets.1772186/

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
Thanks Dili,

I did try to do a fair bit of reading on possible limitations of indirect before I posted. My other workbook is definitely open - sorry, I should have made this clearer. Any other ideas for what is going wrong?

Upvote 0
BA7 = [testfile.xlxs]sheet1!$A11:$A400
& BA8 = [testfile.xlxs]sheet1!$C11:$C400

Hi, shouldn't these be .xlsx- I also think your formula can be changed to the normally entered:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(INDIRECT($BA$7),AU18:AY18,0))),INDIRECT($BA$8))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jominadeo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back