INDIRECT Issue re Worksheet Name

chmm08

I have been stymied with an INDIRECT function issue and feel like I am very close to resolution, but need assistance from an expert.

My workbook has a Summary worksheet that needs to pull from specific cell references in subsequent worksheets. The following formula works if the worksheet name exactly matches the cell reference (A11) from the Summary worksheet:

=INDIRECT("'" &A11&"'!K6")

(A11) is a six digit number (123456). The problem is that the worksheet names include the six digit number as the last 6 characters of the name - there are 8 different choices the enduser can use to name the worksheet but the last 6 characters will always be the 6 digits from A11 in the Summary worksheet.
Example of one of the worksheet names: 'B1.2 - 2 DORMANT CLOSE 105313'

Is it possible to use 'RIGHT' or 'TRIM' in the INDIRECT formula? I have tried a few options but recevie an error every time.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
OK - I thought this might be the case. What if I list the 8 worksheet name options in my Summary worksheet - out to the right of my Summary table in 8 successive cells - say M11:T11. Is it possible to nest a series of INDIRECT functions in my formula or combine with VLOOKUP?

Upvote 0
I think what chmm08 means is to enter the sheet names in cells and use a Vlookup to get them, with an INDIRECT wrapped around it. That would work.

Upvote 0
Yes - that is what I mean...

Complicated situation - I'll try to explain:

The workbook will have a Summary Tab at the beginning that will be (hopefully) automatically completed for a series of rows as a user enters data into the successive worksheets. Each row in the Summary tab represents a location designated with a 6 digit number: 123456, 123457, 123458, etc..... Columns across this row will be populated from a specific worksheet chosen by the user.

The user will choose only one worksheet of eight choices to complete for each row depending on their opinion of the correct scenario to use for that Location. The workbook I provide to the users will have each of the eight worksheets designated with the worksheet name ending in 999999. As the they choose the desired worksheet scenario they will rename the worksheet to include the corresponding six digit number from the Summary worksheet column A: 123456, 123457, 123458, etc.....

I do not know which of the 8 scenarios they will choose, thus my quandry in trying to get the formula to find the matching worksheet for each location.

It seems like this should be possible - but understand it is WAY over my head. Hard to explain, too. I'm trying to save the end user time and possible transcription errors by having the Summary tab automatically populate.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
OK. Excel Jeanie is new to me - I've downloaded and activated, just need a minute to figure out how to post a sample.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hmm - this is a truncated test version that I have added some notes to. Does this make sense to you? In columns J,K,L are the names of the worksheets that I added as a possible lookup reference. Row 11 worked because I created an exact worksheet name match to Column A.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJKL
9Milestone 1Milestone 2etc?I have created an index of the possible sheet names here..
10DeliverableYearCostDeliverableYearCost
11123456Milestone to be defined by Contractor2012400N obtained2013600B1.2 - 2 DORMANT CLOSE 123456B1.2 - 3B1.2 - 4 >RA CLOSE 123456
12123457#REF!300B1.2 - 2 DORMANT CLOSE 123457B1.2 - 3B1.2 - 4 >RA CLOSE 123457
13123458#REF!B1.2 - 2 DORMANT CLOSE 123458B1.2 - 3B1.2 - 4 >RA CLOSE 123458
Summary

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back