Investment Model Allocation based upon Percentage and Dollar Amounts

luckyajr

Board Regular
Hi,

I am working on a project in which I need to create an investment allocation spreadsheet. The idea is that there can be anywhere from 2 to 6 investment accounts, each with varying dollar amounts. Each account is then then defined as either a "taxable" or "tax deferred" account. From there, I want to apply those accounts to an investment model with targeted asset class percentages (e.g. 8% to Large Cap, 12% to Emerging Markets, etc. totalling to 100%). Each asset class will either be allocated to a "taxable" or a "tax deferred" account(s), and one asset class will be allocated to both registrations (due to percentage differences). Next, based upon the asset class percentage and the total portfolio amount, the trade amount to be placed for the asset class is then formulated.

This next part is where I am stuck. I want to create a formula (or macro) that will dictate which particular account(s) the asset class should be traded to, where everything ends up allocated to the investment model.

So, as an example, there could be a scenario where I have 3 accounts (1 "taxable" and 2 "tax deferred" accounts) that will all be considered "one bucket of money" and I want to allocate those accounts to the investment model which is based upon different asset classes. Each asset class has a defined $ trade amount and is also assigned to an account registration ("taxable"/"tax deferred" or "both").

I'm not sure if I explained this well or not. Apologies if I didn't. Thank you in advance, I sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks. Still have the issue with some trials where it displays "$0.01" and a negative trade amount ("-35") in the allocate to both row. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Yes there is a fractionation error. E gross values are based on % whereas G values are directly calculated. I suspect that there was 35.01 left in E and in 0 left in G. This leaves .01 in E and -35 in F. Trial adding this directly below the 'multi allocate to both part of the code. Dave
Code:
'multi allocate to both
If Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("G25:G" & Lastrow)) < =_
Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & 1).Value Then
Exit Sub
End If

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As always, what you say is very smart and makes sense. Should have realized that myself. Apologies as always for my ignorance, but I don't think im posting the code correctly, as it is giving me a syntax error or something like that. Would you mind sending the whole code sheet over?? Youre a life saver.

Upvote 0
Whoops! Dave
Code:
'multi allocate to both
If Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("G25:G" & Lastrow)) <= _
Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & 1).Value Then
Exit Sub
End If

Upvote 0
Dave, I'm sure I'm missing something due to my ignorance. I didn't delete anything under it, I just simply pasted it directly under the multi allocate to both section. Trialed a few, and still got the "$0.01" issue. Did i paste the code correctly? Thoughts? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Remove that last trial. Insert this in the allocate to both part following the For Cnt5 = 25 To Lastrow....
Code:
For Cnt5 = 25 To Lastrow
If Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("G25:G" & Lastrow)) = 0 Then
Exit Sub
End If
Does E equal 35.01 before ending in .01? If so there's likely something wrong (ie. it should have ended with .01). Got to go now. Trial some more and report your findings (does it endlessly loop/ wrong calculations, etc.) Try to be specific with inputs and wrong outcomes. Have a nice day. Dave

Upvote 0
Ah man, I am really starting to feel a little stuck with all of this. It's working at times, then other times it's not (ie. "$0.01" is shown). I feel its a little too overwhelming to dictate every scenario that isn't working.
I'm posting your code changes, but they don't seem to be doing anything differently (the same outcome happens).
Aside from the HTML maker you mentioned that I don't think I have access to, is there a way to just send you my spreadsheet or anything like that so you can just make the changes yourself or anything like that? If I'm crossing the line of ettiquete for this site I apologize. I just want to be efficient with time now that it's been a couple weeks of asking you questions and trying to get this to work. I know we are so close, but I think I've made some obvious and simple mistakes that are over my boundaries of knowledge that you would be able to fix. Look forward to hearing back. Thanks

Upvote 0
We've pm'd and the file will make it much easier. Maybe just give me some input numbers that don't work and I'll try it out. Dave

Upvote 0
pm'd? Trial this and see what you get...

C25 $355122.22 "Tax Deferred"
C26 $425111.67 "Tax Deferred"
C27 $85000.55 "Taxable"
C28 $89000.00 "Taxable"

Allocation Factor: "20" (B5)

Im not getting a "-.01" but I am getting a (-35) for one of the multitrades.

Thanks Dave, look forward to hearing back

Upvote 0
Replace the allocate to both code with this. Dave
Code:
'multi allocate to both
For Cnt4 = 7 To 22
If Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F" & Cnt4).Value = "" Then
RemGrs = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("E" & Cnt4).Value
Exit For
End If
Next Cnt4

CellCnt = 6
For Cnt5 = 25 To Lastrow
If Sheets("Sheet1").Range("G" & Cnt5).Value <> 0 Then
'trade cnt
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("j" & Cnt5).Value = _
              Sheets("Sheet1").Range("j" & Cnt5).Value + 1
'net remaining
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("e" & Cnt4).Value = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("e" & Cnt4).Value - _
                                           Sheets("Sheet1").Range("G" & Cnt5).Value
If Cnt4 <> 22 Then 'no fee for #22
'trade fee
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("I" & Cnt5).Value = _
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("I" & Cnt5).Value + Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & 1).Value
'insert acct #
Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(Cnt4, CellCnt) = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Cnt5).Value & _
    "(" & Sheets("Sheet1").Range("G" & Cnt5).Value - Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & 1).Value & ")"
Else
'insert acct #
Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(Cnt4, CellCnt) = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Cnt5).Value & _
                                         "(" & Sheets("Sheet1").Range("G" & Cnt5).Value & ")"
End If
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("G" & Cnt5).Value = 0
CellCnt = CellCnt + 1
MsgBox "View"
End If
Next Cnt5
If Sheets("Sheet1").Range("e" & Cnt4).Value = 0 Then
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("e" & Cnt4).Value = "MultiTrade"
End If

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back