invitation to become a member of DRAFT

Man Petrulis, out of all your avatars that's definitely the one I like the best! :LOL:
(Jeez, just looking at it is enough to take the hair off my mother-in-law's back!) [Shudder] :eek:

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
...with sympathy, Erik

:ROFLMAO: Erik, that's funnier than you can possibly know. If you were a native English speaker I'd almost be insulted. Given that it's a second language for you, it's just plain funny! Have a good weekend! :biggrin:

...with sympathy, Erik

:ROFLMAO: Erik, that's funnier than you can possibly know. If you were a native English speaker I'd almost be insulted. Given that it's a second language for you, it's just plain funny! Have a good weekend! :biggrin:
(it's my third language)
just checked my dictionnary:
first meaning of sympathy is the same as for my native language: meaning something like warm-brother-feeling
second meaning is less neutral but still nothing bad
fourth is rather: I'm so sorry for you, I can feel what you feel

is that last one your "american english explanation" ?

In English the fourth meaning you listed is the most commonly acknowledged use of the word.
(That's what makes it so funny... at Greg's expense of course! :LOL:) - but by all accounts he's a good sport.

Yes, the humor is in the last definition you give there. In English (at least here, can't say for the UK & Aus/NZ) "with sympathy" would typically be the way one signs a "Sympathy card" which is a card that one sends to someone who's loved one has died or who has experienced a tragedy. Given my post, your writing "with sympathy" could have three possible meanings, all of them sarcastic. One is "with sympathy" for my alma mater's basketball team having been eliminated; #2 is "with sympathy" for posting the picture that is indeed as scary as Jay's; and the third is that your "with sympathy" comment following your other comments could mean that you feel sorry for me in that it must be difficult to love myself or that it must be difficult not to love myself too much since I'm "just good".

The reason that it's "funnier than you know" is that I guessed correctly -- you meant none of the above -- you meant the first meaning you cited from your dictionary. The humor was in the irony of that. Anyhow, humor is like a couple of other things in life, once you start to disect and analyze it, it loses a lot of its "oomph".

Actually, Dan, I saw that and chuckled when I read it because I was thinking much the same thing! We have no way of knowing whether Westphalia's really that cute or not. But like I said in another post, IMHO Kristy & Tracy are our reigning beauty queens. To Excel geeks like our crowd here, those two are drop-dead gorgeous.

To be honest, when I wrote that I hadn't seen your photo yet. I was just going by
something you wrote a while ago concerning pink spandex.
(Took me 4 days to get a good night's sleep without jerking awake with a start! :LOL: )

One of these days I'll have to join Erik's "club" myself... :unsure:

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back