is it just me or is excel for mac chock full of bugs?

kylefoley76

there are some software that i use everyday, are highly complex, and to mind work almost perfectly. these are: chrome browser, pycharm, mac os. i have had very few problems with these apps. pycharm, for example, i would say, crashes about once every two months and it is simply an enormously powerful app. the same cannot be said for excel for mac 2016. i've been using that app since as far back as i can remember and it has always been enormously bug prone. excel for mac 2011 would crash roughly once a day, if not more than that. i was hoping that by upgrading to the 2016 version that they would finally bring it to perfection just like chrome browser or pycharm, but alas they have not! they have gotten rid of some bugs but only introduced others! it still crashes once a day if not more. the software in some areas is only a very minor improvement over excel for mac 2011, but given the fact that they've introduced bugs elsewhere, it is even tempting to say that the current excel for mac is even worse than the 2011 version! am i the only one who is making this observation or have others noticed this as well?

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I operate in a windows environment and also suffer regular crashes with Excel 2016 - a Mac user is not special despite what Apple tells you!! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mac excel is terrible. Office is primarily the reason I have a windows vm installed on my macbook, windows office isn't bugfree by any means but it has far more features and is far more stable than Mac office

Upvote 0
Mac excel is terrible. Office is primarily the reason I have a windows vm installed on my macbook, windows office isn't bugfree by any means but it has far more features and is far more stable than Mac office

What is "windows vm" exactly? Can you have both Apple's OS and MS OS active at the same time?

Upvote 0
A vm is a virtual machine. It allows you to run an operating system within your normal operating system (like an alplication) so you can toggle to that window and you wouldn't know you weren't using that operating system. You set up a virtual machine with ram, processor, hdd then install an operating system onto that virtual machine.

So Yes, you can have both MacOS and windows running at the same time. Depending on which vm software you use, you can configure applications to behave as though they're native to the host os, so in this case windows would be hidden and you'd launch windows excel like a normal Mac application (where it appears in the taskbar and can be minimized etc without actually showing windows).

I use vmware, but there are others out there, parallels is very popular https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you sure Apple programs Excel 2016 for Mac?

I do not understand your question :confused: :confused:
- I did not say anything about Excel 2016 for Mac. My words all refer to Excel in Windows environment
I operate in a windows environment and also suffer regular crashes with Excel 2016

Upvote 0
A vm is a virtual machine. It allows you to run an operating system within your normal operating system (like an alplication) so you can toggle to that window and you wouldn't know you weren't using that operating system. You set up a virtual machine with ram, processor, hdd then install an operating system onto that virtual machine.

So Yes, you can have both MacOS and windows running at the same time. Depending on which vm software you use, you can configure applications to behave as though they're native to the host os, so in this case windows would be hidden and you'd launch windows excel like a normal Mac application (where it appears in the taskbar and can be minimized etc without actually showing windows).

Looks like Virtual PC I was running on the cooperative Mac OS on a G3 (it still works).

What about speed?

I use vmware, but there are others out there, parallels is very popular https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Do you have any link comparing vmware and parallels?

Upvote 0
I do not understand your question :confused: :confused:
- I did not say anything about Excel 2016 for Mac. My words all refer to Excel in Windows environment

You said "a Mac user is [using his/her Excel 2016] not special despite what Apple tells you!!". I'd understand the reproach if it's Apple who programs the Mac version of Excel 2016.

Upvote 0
I did NOT say
"a Mac user is [using his/her Excel 2016] not special despite what Apple tells you!!"

... but you did when you inserted those extra words inside the sqaure brackets :)
You are digging a bigger hole for yourself

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back