Isolating the "=cell("contents") formula to apply only to cells in one column?

dougmarkham

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Folks,

I am working on a spreadsheet to log sales. I have two columns (customers and products) that I've created searchable drop-down lists for (using this method as outlined in youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkPoViUhkxU).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrQT9D25Xk&t=5s

Briefly the method uses the following formulas in combination with data validation:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($D$2,G2)),MAX($F$1:F1)+1,0)
=OFFSET($I$2,,,COUNTIF($I$2:$I$36,"?*"))
=COUNTIF(I2:I36,"?*")
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(ROWS($I$2:I2),$F$2:$G$36,2,0),"")
=CELL("contents")

An example of this spreadsheet for creating searchable drop-downs is as follows:
0B090ECBRtpTuLXdFTVlreGxPVU0

When you type a search word into the cells in Yellow, the =CELL("contents") function in Cell D2 takes that search word (from where ever it was typed) and runs a search against the database of names in column G.

Now, in my sales log spreadsheet, I have two database columns: Customers (Name/Tel/Email in column C) and Product (in column F). Therefore, I have two search cells (C5 and F5) in which the formula =CELL("contents") reside. The drop-down cells in columns C and F have different validation lists, referring to two separate tables (customers and products). I've also attached an image of the customer database so that you can see the formulas involved.

If I put a search term into column C (C6 downwards), because there is also a =CELL("contents") in Cell F5, the formula in C5 [=CELL("contents")] needs refreshing (F9). This takes about 20 seconds, and is far too long to make the searchable drop-down functional for my office colleagues.

At the moment, the searchable drop-down lists work, but each time one swaps between a customer search and product search, the =CELL("contents") has to be refreshed. I am hoping that it is possible to alter the =CELL("contents") formula so that it refers only to a specific range of cells in columns C and F of my sales log.
My question is:
1) Is this possible, and what formula would achieve this?]
2) Would isolating the cell range over which =CELL("contents") works solve my problem?
*(and if the answer is no, what might other options to solve the problem be?)

Kind regards,

Doug.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sktz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back