Issue: Access data not showing up in Excel

MollieR

I have an Access database which pulls data from three different Excel reports, combines it, then runs queries to get a single month's data, and feeds that into a table in another Excel document (which is linked so it automatically updates). Normally this works fine, but my most recent query only returns one line, and when I try to get it to feed to a table in Excel all of the field names populate, but my data does not.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Any ideas what the problem could be?
:confused:

I've copied and pasted the data as a temporary workaround, but having it linked really works better since any one of the reports feeding in to the Access database could be changed, thus changing the results of my query.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
How are you combining the data?

Are you joining the tables and, if so, has something changed in one of the Excel columns (eg different data type)? Also, the dates for this month; do they look like the rest of the dates in the reports, or has something changed there?

Usually if something breaks you need to look at the structure and/or the data.

Denis

Upvote 0
I'm not actually combining data between Excel and Access, I'm just trying to get the data returned by the Access query to show up in Excel. I've got five other queries that this exact process works for. I can get the query to return data when I open it in Access (and I've tried updating the data in the Excel table) but nothing shows up when I try to insert data from Access file in my Excel sheet.

Upvote 0
how are you inserting the query result into excel ?
are you running an excel macro, an access macro, copying and pasting from the access query results grid ?

is your query using like ?
example: like '*james*'
does your query use the nz function or any other access functions

how is this query different from the ones that work ?

Upvote 0
All my queries combine data from two of the three reports. So the queries that work combine reports 1 and 2, and the one that doesn't combines reports 2 and 3.

I'm not running a macro or anything complicated like that, I just go to the data tab, hit 'from Access', select my database, and select my desired query. That's why I'm so confused - I don't know why this simple process isn't working in this instance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back