Issue with skipping rank values (RANK + IF + OR)

isadork

Hello all, first time poster here. I've run into an issue and can't figure out how to get around it.

I have 3 columns that come into play here, Phase 1 (Pass/Fail), Phase 2 (Pass/Fail) and score. I want to rank only the ones that have passed both Phases, giving the failed ones a rank of 0.

I'm using the formula =IF(OR(J21="Fail",F21="Fail"),0,RANK(M21,$M$21:$M$24,0)) to only rank the ones that have passed both. But the issue with this is that if one of them has failed, the rank skips that number.

I'm sure it's a matter of using the wrong formula (or combination of formulas), I'm just not sure what else to try.

This is the result I'm getting:
#1PassFail44.070
#2PassPass40.084
#3PassPass54.071
#4PassPass44.552

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is what I'm trying to do:
#1PassFail44.070
#2PassPass40.083
#3PassPass54.071
#4PassPass44.552

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hello all, first time poster here. I've run into an issue and can't figure out how to get around it.

I have 3 columns that come into play here, Phase 1 (Pass/Fail), Phase 2 (Pass/Fail) and score. I want to rank only the ones that have passed both Phases, giving the failed ones a rank of 0.

I'm using the formula =IF(OR(J21="Fail",F21="Fail"),0,RANK(M21,$M$21:$M$24,0)) to only rank the ones that have passed both. But the issue with this is that if one of them has failed, the rank skips that number.

I'm sure it's a matter of using the wrong formula (or combination of formulas), I'm just not sure what else to try.

This is the result I'm getting:
#1PassFail44.070
#2PassPass40.084
#3PassPass54.071
#4PassPass44.552

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is what I'm trying to do:
#1PassFail44.070
#2PassPass40.083
#3PassPass54.071
#4PassPass44.552

<tbody>
</tbody>

try this:

=IF(OR($F21="Fail",$J21="Fail"),0,SUM(IF(($F$21:$F$24="Pass")*($J$21:$J$24="Pass")*($M$21:$M$24>$M21),1,0))+1) press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Upvote 0
Maybe...

=IF(OR(F21="Fail",J21="Fail"),0,COUNTIFS(M$21:M$24,">"&M21,F$21:F$24,"Pass",J$21:J$24,"Pass")+1)

M.

Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you, both formulas worked!

If possible, would you explain what the formulas mean? It would really help me in future. :)

Also what the CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER does? I've not seen this before.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pertotal

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back