Issue with sumproduct formula when counting occurances of multiple criteria within 2 columns

ahalwa

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/61648-countif-combined.htmlI have 2 columns of data where I need to count the number of times a value within a range occurs in the same row as a particular value in the second column. I found this post:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/61648-countif-combined.html which appears to explain how to do it. I can not get my sumproduct formula to work though.

The formula I am trying is: =SUMPRODUCT((Data!I:I<30)*(Data!K:K="Trent")) where column I in the "Data" tab contains numbers and column K in the "Data" tab contains names. I am getting #N/A. I am using excel 2010.

This is the actual spreadsheethttps://www.dropbox.com/s/awu146m9mn9pz22/NCR Days Open.xlsx. Formula is in B4 of the "Stats" tab.

Thanks you in advance.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hi and welcome to Mr Excel Forum
Some points:

1. Avoid references to entire columns, like I:I or K:K, in SUMPRODUCT.
This impairs seriously the performance

2. There are errors (#N/A) in columns J and K at rows 161 and 162
Try to clean up your data.

Otherwise you'll need an array formula like this in B4
=SUM(IF(Data!$I$3:$I$162<30,IF(Data!$K$3:$K$162=B$3,1)))

confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter simultaneously, not just Enter

M.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the help, it is working now. I do have one question based on your response, Marcelo. What sort of problems will I run into by referencing entire columns? I will be creating a macro to show metrics based on raw data that is generated monthly and the length of the raw data report changes, so referencing the entire column is the only way I know of to compensate for the change in length.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the help, it is working now. I do have one question based on your response, Marcelo. What sort of problems will I run into by referencing entire columns? I will be creating a macro to show metrics based on raw data that is generated monthly and the length of the raw data report changes, so referencing the entire column is the only way I know of to compensate for the change in length.

1, You can use a dynamic named range (Google!)

or easier

2. Presently your range is K3:K162 and in the future likely will have more, say, 200 rows (or a little bit more) of data.

If so, you can use something like
=SUMPRODUCT((Data!$I3$:I400<30)*(Data!$K$3:$K$400="Trent"))

or safer

=SUMPRODUCT((Data!$I3:$I$400<>"")*(Data!$I3$:$I$400<30)*(Data!$K$3:$K$400="Trent"))

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
20rayallen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back