Labeling tool hiccups

Elaszat

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

there is a problem I have with my labeling tool I wrote for Excel. I'm afraid I have to go a while back on that.

I'm working in an office where we have to print labels for our articles that we sell. It used to be a tedious process with lots of folders of examples on how to write the labels.

Since I took my position in this office I automated this process by creating a tool that can select and print labels with a few clicks. My colleague has to use this tool, too.

The backend of the tool consists of a binary excel file, the data source, where every information regarding the labels is stored. My tool then processes these information and provides the label printer with the necessary data.

I built in the opportunity to change the information on the labels from within the tool with a user form, for when something changes in the text of a label, so my colleague can leave the binary file alone.

Now, when I try to change information on a label, I open the user form, make my changes and press the button that starts the makro that writes everything back into the data source. It works without a problem.
But when my colleague tries to do the exact same thing, her Excel just freezes. Every time, withoout fail, it just freezes. When she tries to change the information directly in the data source, Excel freezes.

We tried restarting Excel, restarting the computer. I just updated her version to be an exact match of mine, so I really struggle to understand where the freezing is coming from.

Since I don't know, what kind of additional information you need, please let me know and I'll provide as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for reading

Yours, Elaszat

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
And hello again,

I kept researching and trying and lastly came to a solution.

For some reason (and I'm only covertly side-eying my colleague) the data source was bloated nearly to infinity and beyond. What was a neat little file of a mere 660 kB was now a monster of 10.7 MB.

So I created a new file, copied only the needed rows from the data source, saved as binary and enabled sharing. Then backed up the old file, rename the new file and voila, now it works for both of us.

Thank you everyone who read this thread.

Best Regards,
Elaszat

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back