Lengthy If Statement interpretation - HELP!

jlugo

Board Regular
Hello!

In layman's terms, would anyone explain how this formula operates? Forgive me I think I cut off the ending part -- which is only missing a few closing parenthesis....

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(Y19,'Z:\Models\Billing Model Report\7_July 2012\Contracts\[Missing Billing model Report Contract BCN 07232012.xlsx]View Export'!$D$7:$G$401,4,FALSE)),"N/A",VLOOKUP(Y19,'Z:\Models\Billing Model Report\7_July 2012\Contracts\[Missing Billing model Report BCN 07162012.xlsx]View</SPAN></SPAN>

I know it's looking up different sheets located located on the Z: drive of my computer and returning an "N/A" value instead of "N/A#".

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(Y19,'Z:\Models\Billing Model Report\7_July 2012\Contracts\[Missing Billing model Report Contract BCN 07232012.xlsx]View Export'!$D$7:$G$401,4,FALSE)),"N/A",VLOOKUP(Y19,'Z:\Models\Billing Model Report\7_July 2012\Contracts\[Missing Billing model Report Contract BCN 07232012.xlsx]View Export'!$D$7:$G$401,4,FALSE))

That is the correct formula.

It is saying do this:
VLOOKUP(Y19,'Z:\Models\Billing Model Report\7_July 2012\Contracts\[Missing Billing model Report Contract BCN 07232012.xlsx]View Export'!$D$7:$G$401,4,FALSE)

If that is an error (there is no match), then return "N/A", otherwise return whatever value that formula gives.

Upvote 0
Hi jlugo,

If there's an exact match to the entry in cell Y19 of the active sheet to cells D7:D401 of the "View Export" tab within the "Missing Billing model Report Contract BCN 07232012.xlsx" workbook, then the corresponding entry from G7:G401 of the "View Export" tab within the "Missing Billing model Report Contract BCN 07232012.xlsx" workbook is returned. If there's no exact match, then "N/A" is returned.

As you're using Excel 2007 (or later) you could also do the same, but more succinctly, using the IFERROR function that was released with that version.

HTH

Robert

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back