Limitations in VBA

Archangelos

Hello guys, I have an audacious project in my mind. I want to draw a 16 colour bitmap file in VBA. I want to draw the messages af an LCD display that has 5 lines of 30 characters The file has a size of about 170Kb.

I wonder what are the limitations of VBA. Furthermore, is my hardware going to survive it?

The LCD display I want to draw has 5 lines of 30 characters. That means that it displays 150 characters. If I create 150 variables will it survice?

Speaking of the characters, there 52 letters (capital and non capital), 10 numeric characters plus a dozen (perhaps more) other characters like comma, question mark etc.

Each character has the shape of a 5x7 matrix. That means 35 variables for each character.

150 characters and 35 variables (of Boolean type) for each character means 5.250 variables. It's getting too much, perhaps I should follow another aproach.

Let's say that I create this amount of variables (5.250). Will it run or end in a blue screen?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I want to draw a 16 colour bitmap file in VBA.
First off, what exactly do you have in mind for the above "bitmap"? Do you mean you are trying to create a JPEG file? Or are you talking about a UserForm with a grid of small squares acting as the individual LCD "pixels"? Or did you have something completely different in mind?

Upvote 0
First off, what exactly do you have in mind for the above "bitmap"? Do you mean you are trying to create a JPEG file? Or are you talking about a UserForm with a grid of small squares acting as the individual LCD "pixels"? Or did you have something completely different in mind?
I am talking about creating a 16 colour (that means 4 bits per pixel) bmp file.

The bmp file has a header and then the data. Thanks to excel I can arrange the data in a tableand then send the header and the data to a file. I have started figuring out how I will do it. I won't need all these 5.250 variables

Interesting

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back