Linking many source files to a single data table

afarcet

Dear Excel gurus,

I have a customer whose Finance Controller is spending hours (if not days) every month to produce a Balanced Scorecard.

He has set up links from the scorecard to over 20 external files. There are two challenges as I see it:

1) The names of those files change monthly (i.e. SalesJan becomes SalesFeb, etc.). At the moment, he's trawling through his formulas and changing the names of the links manually.

2) The links have to feed a different column each month.

In general, I think the best way forward would be to feed all this source data into a pivot table from which we could create whatever reports we want. So the question is, what's the best way to link a data table to many different cells in many different files whose names frequently change?

Many thanks in advance.

Alex

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
For #1, he or you do not have to change the individual formula with link manually. You can just go to EDIT menu, LINKS, and change the source file to the new file. This will point the link to the new file.

As for #2, I guess the you can highlight the entire range, then FIND e.g. "!E" and REPLACE with e.g. "!F". Include the ! in order to make the search unique otherwise all the Es will be replaced.

Upvote 0
You can select the cells where formulaes with file name are and make a FIND / REPLACE.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back