Linking pivot table to new data

christophe29

Hey everyone,

I am having a really strange problem with my excel file on something I feel like I've done many times before, but for some reason isn't work right now.

I've got two sets of data, one for 2016 and one for 2015, in two separate tabs, that have the same exact headings in every column. I created a pivot table based on the 2016 data that shows exactly what I want to see. And I'd like to have the same exact pivot table layout in terms of info displayed, but based on the 2015 data. So I've copied the 2016 pivot table, pasted it in another tab, gone to the pivot table options and changed the data source to the 2015 data, hit enter/refresh. And despite doing that, it doesn't refresh based on the 2015 data but rather continues to be linked to the 2016 data.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I have done this countless times before and never had an issue. I've tried every combination to try to fix it but couldn't. In fact even if I go to the 2015 data, highlight it all, and create a brand new pivot table, that new pivot table is linked to the 2016 data... Does it maybe have something to do with the cache?! (not exactly sure what the cache is but when I googled my question it kept coming up).

By the way, I am working in excel 2016.

Thanks for your help!
Christophe

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sphere2215

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back