Linking spreadsheets across dropox folders and accessing from different computers

lebowow2000

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a financial accounting system that involves linking a central spreadsheet to various source spreadsheets (salaries, receipts) in different Dropbox folders. This is simple enough when working from my own computer, but the system needs to be accessible and editable from multiple computers. The problem is that the absolute path (absolute paths seem to be needed when going into folders in separate locations) can't update automatically when switching to a new computer, so it has to be done manually for each cell, which clearly isn't feasible when there are hundreds of cells being linked.

I have thought about setting up some sort "INDIRECT" command to update the file path for each spreadsheet depending on the computer being used, like this:
=INDIRECT("'"&LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),SEARCH("PART_TO_CUT_OUT_FROM_CURRENT_FILEPATH",CELL("filename"))-1)&"CORRECT_FILEPATH"&"["&"SOURCE_FILE"&"]"&"SOURCE_SHEET"&"'"&"!"&"E13")
But keep running into a slew of problems, like the link only working when the source file is open, the files taking a long time to load, or not being able to automatically expand the cell "E13" across rows and columns because it is in quotes.

This seems like something that would be a common problem for any small enterprise that uses Dropbox and Excel to track finances. Yet I can't seem to find answers to these questions online. Am I on the right track with the use of an INDIRECT command? Is there a better way to go about this? Or is Excel just not designed to work well with links across different folders?

Many thanks!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back