Locate cell in database and return row/column header

vanduima

Hey everyone,

I have been working on this problem for a while and cannot find an easy solution to do it without VB. If possible, I'd like to use a formula for it. I will accept VB answers though if you have them.

I have a database that is about 600x600. I already have a function that finds the top 3 values of the range. Now I need to find the row header and column header for each of the top three values.

For example, for the table below, I know the top three values are 4, 3, and 2. I want to find a function that will return "Red-Hot" given 4. Any thoughts?
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="256"><colgroup><col style="width:48pt" span="4" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;width:48pt" height="20" width="64">
</td> <td style="width:48pt" width="64">Red</td> <td style="width:48pt" width="64">Blue</td> <td style="width:48pt" width="64">Green</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Hot</td> <td align="right">4
</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td align="right">0</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Warm</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">2</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Cold</td> <td align="right">3</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">0</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Thanks for any help you can give.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hello,

Assume Row 1 is your Col_Headings & A:A is the Row_Headers. Try this.

<b>Excel 2007</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";background-color: #FFFFFF;border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #A6AAB6"><colgroup><col width="25px" style="background-color: #E0E0F0" /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;text-align: center;color: #161120"><th></th><th>A</th><th>B</th><th>C</th><th>D</th><th>E</th><th>F</th><th>G</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Red</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Blue</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Green</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Top 3</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Col  - Row</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">2</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Hot</td><td style="text-align: right;;">4</td><td style="text-align: right;;">1</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;">4</td><td style=";">Red - Hot</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">3</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Warm</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td><td style="text-align: right;;">2</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;">3</td><td style=";">Red - Cold</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">4</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">Cold</td><td style="text-align: right;;">3</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;">2</td><td style=";">Green - Warm</td></tr></tbody></table><p style="width:3.6em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid #A6AAB6;border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">Sheet3</p><br /><br /><table width="85%" cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";border: 2px solid black;border-collapse:collapse;padding: 0.4em;background-color: #FFFFFF" ><tr><td style="padding:6px" ><b>Worksheet Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: #FFFFFF;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #A6AAB6"><thead><tr style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">F2</th><td style="text-align:left">=LARGE(<font color="Blue">B$2:D$600,ROWS(<font color="Red">F$2:F2</font>)</font>)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></table><br /><table width="85%" cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";border: 2px solid black;border-collapse:collapse;padding: 0.4em;background-color: #FFFFFF" ><tr><td style="padding:6px" ><b>Array Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: #FFFFFF;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #A6AAB6"><thead><tr style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">G2</th><td style="text-align:left">{=INDEX(<font color="Blue">$1:$1,SMALL(<font color="Red">IF(<font color="Green">B$2:D$600=F2,COLUMN(<font color="Purple">B$2:D$600</font>)</font>),COUNTIF(<font color="Green">F$2:F2,F2</font>)</font>)</font>)&" - "&INDEX(<font color="Blue">A:A,SMALL(<font color="Red">IF(<font color="Green">B$2:D$600=F2,ROW(<font color="Purple">B$2:D$600</font>)</font>),COUNTIF(<font color="Green">F$2:F2,F2</font>)</font>)</font>)}</td></tr></tbody></table><b>Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.</b> If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
<b>Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself</b></td></tr></table><br />
Copy down.

Note: G2 is the Array Formula. Must hit CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just Enter.

Upvote 0
Haseeb,

Thanks for your help. I put that formula in and it works great except for one issue which I didn't explain better before.

I have an additional row/column with a TRUE/FALSE statement based on my specifications so it looks like this below.
Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1TRUETRUEFALSE
2RedBlueGreen
3TRUEHot410
4FALSEWarm002
5TRUECold300
Sheet3
Excel 2007

I want to do the exact some thing but only for those rows and columns marked TRUE. I know this is possible with some array formulas and multiplying statements because I did it for my LARGE function. I just can't figure out how to incorporate it here. Thanks for any help you can give!

Upvote 0
Try,

G3,

Code:
=IFERROR(LARGE(IF($A$3:$A$600+0,IF($C$1:$E$1+0,$C$3:$E$600)),ROWS(G$3:G3)),"")

H3,

Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX($2:$2,SMALL(IF(C$3:E$601=G3,IF($A$3:$A$60+0,IF($C$1:$E$1+0,COLUMN(C$3:E$601)))),COUNTIF(G$3:G3,G3)))&" - "&INDEX(B:B,SMALL(IF(C$3:E$601=G3,IF($A$3:$A$60+0,IF($C$1:$E$1+0,ROW(C$3:E$601)))),COUNTIF(G$3:G3,G3))),"")

Both are confirmed with Control+Shift+Enter.

Copy down.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back