Look up and return value based on more than one factor

toMarsandBack

I've been searching high and low for a formula that will return a value from a table based on multiple factors (seems to be some combination of IF and Vlookup formula). I looked through the forum to see if anyone has already posted a question similar to mine but I didn't find an exact match (is an excel formula as unique as a snowflake?) Anyways, with that being said, I understand that the people providing help on this forum have to take time out of their day to come up with answers so I'm more than willing to make a donation to the forum. I've spent way too much time on this and just need a good answer at this point.

Sheet 1
PlayerPositionTeamOpponentvs. player
JohnPGLALMEM?????
MarkSGLALMEM?????

<tbody>
</tbody>

PlayerPositionTeamOpponent
MikePGMEMLAL

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need a formula that will use values in the Opponent and Position columns in sheet1 - in this case MEM and PG - and return the corresponding value - in this case Mike. Simply put, Mike is the Memphis PG that is guarding the Lakers PG.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

Marcelo Branco

MrExcel MVP
Welcome to Mr Excel

You need and array formula.

E2 of Sheet1
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(1,IF(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$100=B2,IF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$100=D2,1)),0)),"Not Found")

confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter

Hope this helps

M.

Aladin Akyurek

MrExcel MVP
In E2 of Sheet1 control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$10,MATCH($B2,IF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$10=$D2,Sheet2!$B$2:$B$10),0))

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miguel_Rojas

This Week's Hot Topics