Lookups - Find specific column

khilton

Hi everyone,

I’m having difficulty managing a large file with many lookups, and cannot create a formula for a specific lookup I need. I have created a similar situation example which is simpler to better understand the problem. I am using 2 separate workbooks (2 separate tables) and trying to lookup a value from one and use it in the other.
Table 1 is where the raw data is; it is a download/extract from another program and is used by many people and therefore cannot be changed or reformatted for ease of use. It must be used as is. Also note that the blank cells are not actually empty and excel reads them as such, meaning a “ISBLANK” formula will not work for this problem.

Table 1 looks like this:
Recipe
Apple
Pear
Grape
Lemon
Orange
Lime
Banana
Yes

<tbody>
</tbody>

The headers describe ingredients in recipes, and numbers in column A represent different recipes. Where it says “Yes” indicates that that ingredient is in the recipe.

Table 2 looks like this:
Recipe
Apple
Pear
Grape
Lemon
Orange
Lime
Banana
Apple
Pear
Grape
Lemon
Orange
Lime
Banana
Apple
Pear
Grape
Lemon
Orange
Lime
Banana
Apple
Pear
Grape
Lemon
Orange
Lime
Banana
Apple
Pear
Grape
Lemon
Orange
Lime
Banana
Other
Other
Lemon

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is the working file where the same recipes are listed in column A, but will be in a varying order. As new recipes are created, they will be added and so this must be a continuous file. The headers in this file give a list of grouped ingredients, the same list for 5 columns (a recipe can have a max of 5 of the ingredients in this list, however there are more than 5 ingredients possible). Each recipe needs to indicate which ingredients are in it. In this example, recipe 3 has lemons. If it contained more than this, it would list them in no particular order in 5 cells for that recipe.
I need a formula which reads the header from Table 1, from the same column as “Yes” for the corresponding recipe. Here, Table 1 says ‘Yes’ under lemons from column E for recipe 3, so Table 2 says lemons under the first available spot for ingredients.
My approach is this: I created an INDEX MATCH MATCH formula to find the header. I used the entire Table 1 as the array. The row will always be 1 (as the headers will always appear in this row). The column number of the header will match the column number of the work “Yes”, however I cannot seem to make this work. My thought is that I would match the word ‘Yes’ within the recipe number row, and return the column number. Keep in mind, since this is a large file and this same type of sequence occurs many times, it needs to specifically look in columns B-K only, as the work ‘Yes’ will exist elsewhere in the file for that row. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghennedy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back