Macro to Clear Cells based on condition

CherylHolubar

I need a macro that auto runs when the spread sheet is opened with the following formula as a condition: =IF(LEFT($B$2,5)>=LEFT(A35,5) if this is true, then I want it to clear the selected cells, if false then "". I am a novice using macros and all I have written is simple macros that format and populate cells based on line counts. I have never used a formula in a macro. The formula above is based on dates.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
To run an auto macro, you need to enter the macro in the Workbook object

Open the macro editor. On the left is a list of open workbooks, with your workbook amongst them. DoubleClick on the ThisWorkbook of the workbook where you want to add the auto macro.

The editor will show a blank screen. Just above the cursor you see a dropdown box with '(General)'. Click on it and select 'Workbook'.
A new sub will be written called Workbook_Open()

This will run when the workbook opens.

So now you can do your stuff in here. You want to compare two values, but you need to specify which sheet these values are in, in case someone closed the workbook on a different sheet. Let's assume the data you have is on Sheet1.
Then you say you want to 'Clear the selected cells'. The workbook is opening, so how can you know what the selected cells are? I am assuming you want to clear the cells mentioned in your comparison:
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

If Left(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("B2"), 5) >= Left(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A35"), 5) Then
        Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("B2") = ""
        Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A35") = ""
    End If
End Sub

You mention the 'formula is based on dates'. Do these two cells contain dates (as in real Excel dates, not text strings)? then you can just compare the values:
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

If Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("B2") >= Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A35") Then
        Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("B2") = ""
        Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A35") = ""
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to try this when I get back to the office tomorrow. :)

I'll let you know if I'm able to do this. In the formula I had, instead of using a wildcard in the year of the date, I'm having it compare the left 5 characters. I believe I got this from this website. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back