Macro to Find and Replace Inside Specific Text Boxes

pschappert

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to replace certain words inside a text box based on cell values in a different worksheet. I am not sure if a 'Find and Replace' macro is the best way to do this, but here's an example of what I'm looking for:

(Inside text box on Worksheet 2)

"The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

(Inside cells A1 on Worksheet 1)

"happy"

My question is, how can I get "happy" to replace "lazy"?

*Note: there are several text boxes that I need to do this in. However, the value in the cell ("happy" in my example) will always be the same. The biggest problem I am facing is the stupid 256-character limit that Excel has placed on formulas inside text boxes.

I appreciate all the help I can get in advance!

Thanks,

Patrick

Ok Ok!!! Last time, I promise! As I play around, I continually discover that the original thing I asked for is not at all what I am looking for. Any way you can make it apply to single text boxes (one at a time)? I want it combined into one macro, but to have it apply to different text boxes individually. Any ideas?

Thank you so much! If there's ever any way I can help you, please don't hesitate to ask!!

Patrick

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
No worries, your welcome!

As I play around, I continually discover that the original thing I asked for is not at all what I am looking for.
Haha! - thats no good!, but yeah you always find ways to improve these things.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you want. Could you post some examples showing before and after you run the macro?

Upvote 0
Ok, so here goes...

(Sheet 2)

(Text Box 1)
Replace "brown" with "Sheet1!$F$48"

(Text Box 2)
Replace "yellow" with "Sheet1!$F$12"

etc...

Basically, rather than apply the macro to every single text box on Sheet2, can I make it apply to only select text boxes...?

Thanks

Upvote 0
One way you might set this up is have three columns in Sheet1 - for example:
  • A1: "TextBox 1" (without the quotes, enter the exact name of the Text Box in cell A1 - the name in the rectangle on the top left when you select a text box)
  • B1: "brown" (without the quotes, the word you want replaced)
  • C1: "Sheet1!F48" (without the quotes, the cell reference, including Sheet name of the replacement word)
  • A2: "TextBox 2"
  • B2: "yellow"
  • C2: "Sheet1!F12"
etc...
Then use the following to cycle through the text boxes and make the replacements for individual textboxes:
Code:
Sub example()

Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim vArr As Variant
Dim i As Long
Dim stBox As String

Set ws = Sheets("Sheet2")
vArr = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:C2") 'change to your range which contains the TextBox names, words and replacement word cell references
For i = 1 To UBound(vArr, 1)
    stBox = ws.Shapes(vArr(i, 1)).TextFrame.Characters.Text
    stBox = Replace(stBox, vArr(i, 2), Range(vArr(i, 3)))
    ws.Shapes(vArr(i, 1)).TextFrame.Characters.Text = stBox
Next i

End Sub

Upvote 0
Something isn't right :/ I made all the necessary replacements, but there seem to be some problems. If I step into the Macro, and hover over some of the coding, it shows "Type Mismatch<TYPE Mismatch><TYPE Mismatch><TYPE Mismatch>" Is this a problem? Sorry...as you can probably tell, I'm not at all familiar with VBA & Macros :P

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What line is the error on? Are the names of the Text Boxes exactly the same as the names in column A? If your using a different range to "A1:C2" on Sheet1 - have you amended the code to reflect that?

Upvote 0
Any way to replace entire text boxes?

For example, if cell C60 = TRUE, insert TextBox 81, but if C60 = FALSE, insert TextBox 54

Upvote 0
Still looking for help on this one!

I am looking for a macro to browse and insert a picture in a text box on a different worksheet.

I want to press a button and have it pull up access to my computer, so I can insert a picture. When I click "Insert," I want it to insert it into the text box on the separate worksheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kokoanutt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back