Macro to Insert Character Depending on Value Help

avd88

Board Regular
Hello,

I am trying to write a code that when I press a button I get an X inserted in the relevant cell. If Z5 = 1 then put an X to AB5 if Z6 = 2 then put an X in AC6 (See Below). Eventually the Periods will change and AB through AE should be all filled out with Xs.

The range is dynamic so somethin like:

Code:
Dim nextrow As Integer

nextrow = WorksheetFunction.CountA(ActiveSheet.Range("T:T"))

qrkpxf.jpg

I appreciate the help.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
See if assigning this macro to the button does what you want...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub avd88()
  Dim cell As Range
  For Each cell In Columns("Z").SpecialCells(xlConstants)
    If Not cell.Value Like "*[!0-9]*" Then cell.Offset(, 1 + cell.Value) = "X"
  Next
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Rick, unfortunately it did not work. So looking at the image I attached the rows on column Z with 2s and 1s (I go up to 5) should insert an X after I press a button on those same Rows on the columns where P1, P2, etc. are. So, 1s put an X on P1, 2s put an X on P2 and so on.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Rick, unfortunately it did not work. So looking at the image I attached the rows on column Z with 2s and 1s (I go up to 5) should insert an X after I press a button on those same Rows on the columns where P1, P2, etc. are. So, 1s put an X on P1, 2s put an X on P2 and so on.
So are you saying you have one button per row? That seems inefficient. My code assumes you have one button which, when pressed, place the X in the appropriate column for all the cells in Column Z that have a number in them. If there is already an X in the cell, it will simply overwrite it with another X. This would make your interface easier as there would be only one button to press (and you could assign a shortcut key press to my macro and eliminate the button altogether). It would also allow you to put more than one number in Column Z at a time... calling my macro would then fill in all of the X's for them. Would that be an acceptable approach for you to use? If not, you are going to need a macro for every button on your worksheet (there is a way around that using Class modules, but you would probably not like it).

Upvote 0
I only have one button, I think this image will explain better what I am trying to accomplish. After I click the DoneButton, this is what column AB to AF should look like. Eventually the numbers in column Z will change from 1-5 so the next month I click on that button the ones that have a 1 will now have a 2 and an X will be inserted into P2, so there will now be an X on P1 and an x on P2, and so on. The ones that started in Period 2 next month will have a blank on P1, and an X on P2 and P3....

v689y1.jpg

Upvote 0
I only have one button, I think this image will explain better what I am trying to accomplish. After I click the DoneButton, this is what column AB to AF should look like. Eventually the numbers in column Z will change from 1-5 so the next month I click on that button the ones that have a 1 will now have a 2 and an X will be inserted into P2, so there will now be an X on P1 and an x on P2, and so on. The ones that started in Period 2 next month will have a blank on P1, and an X on P2 and P3....
Okay, I see one problem with my code based on the above explanation, but before I try and patch the code for it, I need you to tell me in what way did my code not work for you? Also, a second question... what is in Column Z, formulas or constants?

Upvote 0
Ok I see the issue, I hard coded the 5 and your code does work, xlConstants is the problem as column Z are If statements.

Upvote 0
Ok I see the issue, I hard coded the 5 and your code does work, xlConstants is the problem as column Z are If statements.
Give this modified version of my macro a try...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub avd88()
  Dim cell As Range
  For Each cell In Columns("Z").SpecialCells(xlFormulas, xlNumbers)
    cell.Offset(, 2).Resize(, 5).ClearContents
    cell.Offset(, 1 + cell.Value) = "X"
  Next
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
That works beautifully Rick, I just removed the
Code:
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]  cell.Offset(, 2).Resize(, 5).ClearContents[/FONT][/COLOR]
part of the code, as I need it to keep previous X's.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Upvote 0
I just removed the
Code:
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]  cell.Offset(, 2).Resize(, 5).ClearContents[/FONT][/COLOR]
part of the code, as I need it to keep previous X's.
It was not at all clear that you wanted to do that given the picture you posted in Message #5 .

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abitrandom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back