Mail Merge - List multiple items then page break on unique data from Excel to Word

jeverett1

Hello Experts,

I using Word 2013 to mail merge. I have a large list of data (counselor names, student names, scholarships and high schools). I want to mail merge the list so that each counselor gets one letter, but they may have multiple students (unique field is hs_code). I have tried everything I know, reading this forum, consulting with my IT guys and nothing seems to work. Can some one help?

Thank you in advance. I hope to use any code provided that works for multiple projects, this would save me a ton of time in the future.

Example:

Dear Counselor A from High School A,

These students got scholarships:
Joe Smith $1000
Jane Doe $750

Thanks
Justin

{page break}

Dear Counselor B
from High School B,

These students got scholarships:
Gerald Wright $1000
Joan Smith $750

Thanks
Justin

{page break} etc.
c_namef_namem_namel_namesch_typeamt_1_yramt_4_yrhs_codehs_name
Mr. FrankCaitlinWCarlosMerit Scholarship$14,500$58,000123142Saint Bernard School
Mrs. AshleyJoeCSmithLeadership Scholarship$2,500$10,000245896Catholic High School
Mrs. AshleyJoeCSmithMerit Scholarship$14,000$56,000245896Catholic High School
Mrs. AshleyJamieMCookLeadership Scholarship$11,500$46,000245896Catholic High School
Mrs. AshleyScottTEverettLeadership Scholarship$2,500$10,000245896Catholic High School
Mr. JoshRichardTSampleMerit Scholarship$14,000$56,000785489Ironwood High School
Ms. SamKristinMAnneLeadership Scholarship$8,500$34,000785489Ironwood High School
Mr. GregDylanMHauerPresident Scholarship$12,000$48,000254587Verde High School

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col span="2"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
You can use Word's Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge facility for this (the terminology depends on the Word version). To see how to do so with any mailmerge data source supported by Word, check out my Microsoft Word Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial at:
Microsoft Word Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial | Windows Secrets Lounge
or:
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue Mailmerge.zip
The tutorial covers everything from list creation to the insertion & calculation of values in multi-record tables in letters. Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document included with it.

The field coding for this is complex. However, since the tutorial document includes working field codes for all of its examples, most of the hard work has already been done for you - you should be able to do little more than copy/paste the relevant field codes into your own mailmerge main document, substitute/insert your own field names and adjust the formatting to get the results you desire. For some worked examples, see the attachments to the posts at:
mail merge with duplicate names but different dollar amounts
Access to Word, Creating a list from multiple records
Word 2010 Merge from excel into Table Directory | Windows Secrets Lounge

Another option would be to use a DATABASE field in a normal ‘letter’ mailmerge main document and a macro to drive the process. An example of this approach can be found at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...g-tables/8bce1798-fbe8-41f9-a121-1996c14dca5d
The DATABASE field can even be used without recourse to a mailmerge. An example of such usage can be found at: Mail merge into different coloumns

Alternatively, you may want to try one of the Many-to-One Mail Merge add-ins, from:
Graham Mayor at http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm; or
Doug Robbins at http://bit.ly/1hduSCB

In addition to a 'Many to One' merge, the latter handles:
• Merge with Charts
• Duplex Merge
• Merge with FormFields
• Merge with Attachments
• Merge to Individual Documents
• Merge, Print and Staple

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back