Mailto hyperlinks *sometimes* break with # usage

yugidean

I'm using Excel 2016 on Windows 7 Enterprise.

My team works with virtually every department in the company, so we keep a resource guide with mailto links for every point of contact. The mailto's include copies of relevant managers AND my team's distribution group. The distro group address is formatted like: #marketing-teamname@company.com

Initially, everything works perfectly. But a problem arises when you close the document and reopen it. In some instances the mailto links still work flawlessly. The To: fields, CC: fields, and pre-set subject lines populate as expected.

However, other instances (in particular when I've used specially-formatted text boxes or images as the clickable area) break where the # hits. This means that anything after the hashtag (subsequent CC addresses as well as the pre-set subject line) is omitted when you click the hyperlink.

Fun fact 1: Resetting the hyperlinks works until you close the document again.
Fun fact 2: When you reopen the document, you can mouse-over the mailto's that still work and see that it's still displaying the #. If you mouse-over a mailto that's broken, the # has turned into a space-dash-space. So it appears like this in the mouse-over dialog:

cc= - marketing-teamdistrogroup@company.com

When you select the option to edit the hyperlink, everything from the # on is just missing. It doesn't even display the space-dash-space. I'm at a loss!

Screengrabs are linked below. I would insert them inline, but the image size is CRAZY large, and I can't suss out how to modify dimensions without going into Photoshop and re-uploading. The link also includes a workable sample document with exact replicas (formatting-wise, anyway) as the ones I'm using in the internal document.

Excel Troubles - Google Drive

Thanks in advance for your help!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHOJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back