Manufacturing - How to Identify Start time and End Time of Shifts

akopst

Hi - This is my first time posting so bear with me. I work for a manufacturing company and we micronize raw materials into fine particle sizes and pack them into different size packages. The workers manually track the start and end times for each unit (bag/box) produced on their shift on a piece of paper. At the end of each day we take all sheets of paper and enter the production records - line by line for each unit - into an excel spreadsheet. I then take the data and summarize and track trending via pivot tables.

Here is a sample what the raw data looks like:

DateRoomShiftProductUnit #Start TimeEnd TimeTime ElapseMinutes
5/14/181125KG19:01AM9:08AM0:077
5/14/181125KG29:09AM9:15AM0:066
5/14/181125KG39:16AM10:00AM0:4444
5/14/181225KG410:10AM10:25AM0:1515
5/14/181225KG510:30AM11:00AM0:3030

<tbody>
</tbody>

The table currently has 6 months of production in it and over 40,000 rows.

Here is my issue - I want to be able to track how well utilized my production rooms are. I can easily sum the minutes column in a pivot table to see how many minutes of production took place for the day/shift, however what I still need to calculate the total available minutes of production available during that shift. For example, you can see that Unit 1 start time was 9:01AM and the end time was 9:08AM - a total of 7 minutes. The next unit start time was 9:09AM and it took 6 minutes to produce. The total production was 13 minutes, however, I lost 1 minute between finishing Unit 1 and starting Unit 2. So I am around 92.3% utilized.

What I want to track is how well utilized were my production rooms over the course of a day. In order to do that I need to know how many available minutes were there in each shift. This can vary by day since shifts can start at different times and I can't just assume each shift has 8 hours (we run 3 shifts). I am hoping someone has experience creating a formula - in the raw data set or within the pivot table - that would help me pick the shift start time (start time of Unit #1 ) and then the shift end time (end time of last unit produced that shift - which in my example the end of Shift 1 is 10:00AM).

Each shift can have up to 100 rows of production and just to make it a bit more difficult, we track 3 shifts each day for 2 rooms. So you have Room 1 shifts 1, 2, and 3 and then Room 2 shifts 1, 2, and 3.

Here is the pivot table I currently have:

Shift 1Shift 2Shift 3
DateProductRoomKG MilledMinutesKg/MinKG MilledMinutesKG/MinKG MilledMinutesKG/Milled
5/13/1825KG1100651.575571.3100601.7
5/14/1825KG175571.350451.1---

<tbody>
</tbody>

Some how I'd like to be able to use a column that contains potential minutes and then calculate utilization by dividing actual minutes by the total potential minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Aaron

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back