Master excel that is updated by; and updates other excel files in folder.

gertrudegertjan

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have multiple excel files inside a single folder named "X". All those excel files have the same first row with the name of the columns.
The different columns of the first row are : identifier 1/ identifier 2 / characteristic 1/characteristic 2/ characteristic 3 / characteristic 4 / characteristic 5 / characteristic 6/...

I would like to make one of these excel files the "master document" that is updated with the data from the other excel files of folder X and that, afterwards updates the appropriate cells in the secondary file in return. I'd like this to happen sequentially : first with secondary 1, then with secondary 2, then with secondary 3,...

Column 1 is called "identifier 1" and column 2 is called "identifier 2". The combination of the two is unique (but sometimes only identifier 1 is known, sometimes only identifier 2 is known and sometimes both are known).

For every row of the master document I would like that the code looks into the other files in folder X for an exact match of either identifier 1 and 2 combined; identifier 1; or identifier 2 in column 1 and 2 and compares the values/text of each column associated with that unique entity (characteristic 1/ characteristic 2 /...). If there is a difference between the master and the secondary excel file I would like that data of the secondary file be added into the cell in the master document (this for every column (characteristic) of that unique entity)

If there is no exact match I would like to copy the whole row of the secondary file beneath the last row of my master document.

When the master document is updated I would like that the secondary file is updated based on the update of the master that just happened. Here, instead of adding data in the different characteristics, I would like to just copy the data from the master in that specific column (characteristic) if there is a difference.

When that is done for the excel secondary 1, I want to do the same for every other secondary file in folder X sequentially.

This is above my capabilities and hope you could help me.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I'm not an expert on databases, but I believe the "master document" should be an Access database and your secondary files could be Excel files that link to the database. Access has too much built-in functionality to maintain data continuity that it would be difficult to recreate it in Excel at that scope.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back