Match lookup based on value within long text field and return category - all help appreciated!

step_hen711

Hey all,

I have a formula query which has been wrecking my brain for the last few days - I've searched high and low for a solution, but with no luck.

I have an excel file with 2 sheets - one contains the data and all the metrics I analyse. I'm looking to create a new metric field, so that I can split analysis into defined groups. I want to use the unique product key as the reference - within a typical cell, it contains the name of the category I'd like to define. For example, an entry in the product key is displayed as so:
"BV_Social_CommentApproved" - in this example, "Social" is one of the groups I wish to define.

In sheet 2 of the file, I have a list of values (2 columns - one column contains part of the lookup value and the second column contains the category I'd like to call it.) The table had one heading of "key word2 - in this example it's "social_" and the category I wish to generate is in the second column "Social"

<tbody>
</tbody>
I require a formula solution which is able to pick out this key word within the unique product key and match it with the table in the second sheet - it must return the matched value within a new metric column.

I hope this makes sense - I'll keep an eye on this thread for any help - all help/suggestions are much appreciated! :)

Sorry, I am struggling to understand. Do you want to search for "Clearance" from Sheet2 ColA, if found in Sheet1 ColA then return "AdHoc" from Sheet2 ColB?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Sorry, I am struggling to understand. Do you want to search for "Clearance" from Sheet2 ColA, if found in Sheet1 ColA then return "AdHoc" from Sheet2 ColB?

Sorry, this is not the complete list for both sheets so may look slight odd - but yes, I wish to search to see if the key word (Sheet 2, Col A) is contained within the email name (Sheet1, col A) - if the email name contains the key word, then return the value listed in Sheet 2, column B.

Upvote 0
I think what you are trying to do, is to see if sheet1 cell A2 contains any words that appear in sheet2 colA then return what is in sheet 2 colB, is this correct?

Upvote 0
Thanks Garry - here is a quick view of each sheet and example what i want to achieve:

Sheet 1:

Unique product IDSegment
BV_Social_CommentApprovedSocial
Gift_List_2014ABCGift List
Shops_Abandon_Basket_1Abandon Basket
Sheet 2:

Unique product IDNew Segment
Social_Social
Gift_ListGift List
Abandon_BasketAbandon Basket

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

</tbody>

Basically, I need the formula to see if part of the text in sheet 2, column 1, exists within the text of sheet 1 column 1 - if it generates a successful match, then return the value from sheet 2, column 2 within the Segment column. This would allow me to assign a Segment to each email type.

Thank you for your help!

</tbody>

B2 of Sheet1, just enter and copy down:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH("_"&Sheet2!$A$2:$A$4,"_"&$B1),Sheet2!$B$2:$B$4),"NA")

Thank you for this formula, Aladin - I tried it out on my spreadsheet, but I couldn't get it to work.

Could you please explain what the "9.99999" etc part does? I've never seen this before in a formula!

The formula must search for the key phrase which is location in Sheet 2, column 1 - it must search to see if this key phrase is located with the value of Sheet 1, column 1 - if it contains this value, it must return the entry in Sheet 2, column 2.

The formula is based in the 3rd column of Sheet 1.

I hope this helps make it clearer and thank you all for your help to date!

B2 of Sheet1:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH("_"&Sheet2!$A$2:$A$4,"_"&$A2),Sheet2!$B$2:$B$4),"NA")

See the worbook that implements the suggestion: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65698317/step_hen711 lookup search.xlsx

Upvote 0
Aladin your formula works as does Sankars formula on page 1, very confusing as to what the OP wants!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back