MDX - SQL Help

largeselection

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the best way to get information out of an OLAP database.

So the database is structured with these fields: [player], [team], [location], [points], [year]. There are many players which roll up into teams and many teams. There are 2 available years.

Basically what I would like to get at is the count for this year and for last year of player/location combinations that sum to less than 2 points. If I pull total player then that gives me the points across all locations, if I pull total location, that gives me points across all players, so I need player/location level detail.

So I could try to create a pivottable and then use formulas to count it out, the issue is that I have 6,000 players, and each player would then have 700 locations = 6,000 x 700 = 4.2 million rows x 2 columns if I put this year and last year as columns, otherwise 8.4 million rows if I try and include it horizontally.

So I thought there must be a simpler way to do this via mdx (or dax in powerpivot if need be). I don't need to see all of the rows of data, I just need to know the count where player/location combos have points total < 2.

I would be happy enough if I could just limit the set to only show those player/locations where that was true because that would be considerably smaller in size than the 4.2 million rows.

I tried something like IIF([POINTS] < 2, [PLAYERS], null) as a named set in MDX, and then made a pivottable where I put locations on the horizontal, then I thought I could throw that named set in and it would work...and it did not. I'm not even a noob when it comes to MDX/SQL I'm way below that level.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
hi, suggest you post sample data. it makes understanding the requirement much easier. regards

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is helpful, but here is a sample of what I'm trying to accomplish. In the sample you can see how I could potentially pull the data in from the OLAP cube as a pivot table, and then I could either create another pivot table based on that data or use formulas to calculate out what I'm looking for (the count of unique player/location entries with less than 2 points for both years). However, the dataset would be 8.4 million rows if I pulled it in this way so I'm looking for a way to either pull only the rows that meet that criteria or a way to just give me the counts.

<b>Excel 2010</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";background-color: #FFFFFF;border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #BBB"><colgroup><col width="25px" style="background-color: #DAE7F5" /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;text-align: center;color: #161120"><th></th><th>A</th><th>B</th><th>C</th><th>D</th><th>E</th><th>F</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1</td><td style="font-weight: bold;text-align: center;;">PLAYER</td><td style="font-weight: bold;text-align: center;;">TEAM</td><td style="font-weight: bold;text-align: center;;">LOCATION</td><td style="font-weight: bold;text-align: center;;">POINTS</td><td style="font-weight: bold;text-align: center;;">YEAR</td><td style="font-weight: bold;text-align: center;;"><2</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">2</td><td style="text-align: center;;">TOM</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">10</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2010</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">3</td><td style="text-align: center;;">TOM</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2</td><td style="text-align: center;;">0</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2010</td><td style="text-align: right;;">1</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">4</td><td style="text-align: center;;">TOM</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">3</td><td style="text-align: center;;">5</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2010</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">5</td><td style="text-align: center;;">TOM</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">4</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">6</td><td style="text-align: center;;">TOM</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2</td><td style="text-align: center;;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">1</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">7</td><td style="text-align: center;;">RICH</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">10</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2010</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">8</td><td style="text-align: center;;">RICH</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2</td><td style="text-align: center;;">0</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2010</td><td style="text-align: right;;">1</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">9</td><td style="text-align: center;;">RICH</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">3</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2010</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">10</td><td style="text-align: center;;">RICH</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">1</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">11</td><td style="text-align: center;;">RICH</td><td style="text-align: center;;">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2</td><td style="text-align: center;;">3</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">12</td><td style="text-align: center;;">HARRY</td><td style="text-align: center;;">ORANGE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">5</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2010</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">13</td><td style="text-align: center;;">HARRY</td><td style="text-align: center;;">ORANGE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2</td><td style="text-align: center;;">6</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">14</td><td style="text-align: center;;">HARRY</td><td style="text-align: center;;">ORANGE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">3</td><td style="text-align: center;;">8</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">15</td><td style="text-align: center;;">HARRY</td><td style="text-align: center;;">ORANGE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">4</td><td style="text-align: center;;">9</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">16</td><td style="text-align: center;;">HARRY</td><td style="text-align: center;;">ORANGE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">4</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">17</td><td style="text-align: center;;">SUE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">ORANGE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">0</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">1</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">18</td><td style="text-align: center;;">SUE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">ORANGE</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2</td><td style="text-align: center;;">0</td><td style="text-align: center;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;">1</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">19</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">20</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">21</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">22</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">23</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td><td style="text-align: center;;">…</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">24</td><td style="font-weight: bold;text-align: center;;">6000 Unique Players</td><td style="text-align: center;;">x</td><td style="font-weight: bold;text-align: center;;">700 Unique Locations</td><td style="text-align: center;;">x</td><td style="font-weight: bold;text-align: center;;">2 Possible Years</td><td style="font-weight: bold;;">8400000 Rows</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">25</td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">26</td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">27</td><td style=";">Sum of <2</td><td style=";">Column Labels</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">28</td><td style=";">Row Labels</td><td style="text-align: right;;">2010</td><td style="text-align: right;;">2011</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">29</td><td style=";">APPLE</td><td style="text-align: right;;">2</td><td style="text-align: right;;">2</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">30</td><td style=";">ORANGE</td><td style="text-align: right;;">0</td><td style="text-align: right;;">2</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: center;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr></tbody></table><p style="width:3.6em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid #BBB;border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120">Sheet1</p><br /><br />

Upvote 0
How about just using one pivot table directly on the source data?

Suggest starting in a new workbook and at the first step of the pivot table wizard (ALT-D-P) choose the external data option. Follow the wizard [Eaiser if the source data has a defined name. If the source data doesn't have a defined name range you might get a message about no visible tables, choose options then 'system tables' to see worksheet names.] to the end choosing edit in MS Query. Either use the GUI or edit the SQL to obtain the dataset defined by
Code:
SELECT DISTINCT TEAM, LOCATION, YEAR
FROM YourData
WHERE POINTS < 2
Exit MS Query, either via menu or the open door icon, and complete the pivot table, using COUNT on the data field.

regards

Upvote 0
Thanks for following up.

I tried to do this method, but it said I couldn't edit in query because I'm connecting to an OLAP data source.

I tried adding the clause where Points < 2 to the end of the SQL generated in powerpivot, but it did not work (and also would not let me add points to a filter because it's a measure).

Upvote 0
OK. I can't help, sorry. I know nothing about OLAP, mdx, powerpivot or dax.

Guessing: if the sheer number of records is a limit, what about using MS Access? (Or even just an mdb file, which can be created from Excel without using MS Access if need be: though this would be an awkward approach.)

Upvote 0
I appreciate your help nonetheless. Thanks very much. At the moment I can import the data set into powerpivot - it just takes 2 hours to import, but that will work until I can figure out a simpler way.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back