Microsoft Office 2013 home , probelm with mail merge and labels using excel and word

Vashta

Hello,

I found your site today while googling for a problem I have.
Today I purchased Microsoft Office 2013 as i need to make a few thousand labels.

So first I opend excel and in column 1 I added data "RS43567000" and dragged it down to row 3000 giving me 3000 different codes.
I save it as .xlsx and also .xls and tired with defined row and then again with undefined.

I then open word and went to mailings and start mail merge labels and also tried wizard.
But no matter what i try it simply won't populate the labels with data.
And most times when I chose dde i got a message saying "Word could not re-establish a DDE connection to Microsoft Excel to complete the current task".

Do you have any clue how to fix this issue i even went into options and turned on "confirm file format conversion on open"
And tired to select each item and i went thru them all with no luck.

Can you please advise how i can make bulk labels like i am trying to do with Microsoft excel and word?
Or any other way that is quick and relatively easy?

I spent 8 hours googling trying to fix issue and to populate and print labels.

Please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Fred

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Did you save the workbook, then specify it as the mailmerge data source? As for the mailmerge connection method, you should probably leave that alone - the default OLE DB provider is more than adequate. DDE should only be used as a last resort to address specific formatting issues, as it's quite limited in other respects. As for populating the labels, are you using a tablet PC - or a PC with tablet functionality? If so, that is likely to cause problems when you try to update the labels. For a macro to work around that, see: Mail Merge Failure - Microsoft Community

Upvote 0
Did you save the workbook, then specify it as the mailmerge data source? As for the mailmerge connection method, you should probably leave that alone - the default OLE DB provider is more than adequate. DDE should only be used as a last resort to address specific formatting issues, as it's quite limited in other respects. As for populating the labels, are you using a tablet PC - or a PC with tablet functionality? If so, that is likely to cause problems when you try to update the labels. For a macro to work around that, see: Mail Merge Failure - Microsoft Community

Hello Macropod,

I just got Office 2013 Today and have not used office in many years.
I simply followed what posts i found about making labels using mail merge.

I just tried what you said and that was the issue, I guess the posts i read were older.
As soon as i put the setting to OLE DB it worked with no problems as all.

Thank you so much for the help and advice plus the quick response, I great appreciate it.
Have a great day/night.
Fred

Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back