Mouse shortcuts

stealthblue

Can someone helf find a way to turn off the mouse shortcuts that do the following:

Double clicking towards the top a cell = CTRL + up arrow
Double clicking towards the bottom of a cell = CTRL + down arrow
Double clicking towards the left of a cell = CTRL + left arrow
Double clicking towards the right of a cell = CTRL + right arrow
Double clicking towards the bottom right corner of a cell = CTRL + Shift + down arrow, then CTRL + D

I keep several excel files zoomed out so I can see all of the information in each row, this leaves my target for double clicking to edit the contents of a cell very small vertically. I know I could just zoom in, but I prefer to see everything at once.
The first four are just anoying, but the fifth has almost caused problems in an excel file I am using for work. Luckily I noticed quickly and was able to simply undo the change, but I would like to just disable these shortcuts. I looked in the help documents and accessability options, but there is nothing about these shortcuts listed.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi Stealth,

In Excel 2007 click the Office Button -> Excel Options (Tools -> Options in Excel 2003). Click Advanced, then uncheck the box labeled "Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop".

In either version, you could also run a quick macro to turn this option off:
Code:
Sub stealthblue()
    Application.CellDragAndDrop = False
End Sub

Upvote 0
I'm using Excel 2003, but there is not an advanced tab in the window that pops up when I click Tools>Options.

Also, the macro disables the ability drag a cell you want to move, and pull down on the box in the lower right corner to fill. It looks like the menu option would do this as well, if I could get to it. The only thing I want to turn off is the double click shortcuts. Is there a way to do this, or will I just have to live with one of these two scenarios?

Upvote 0
In Excel 2003 it's under Tools -> Options -> Edit -> "Allow cell drag and drop". And, unfortunately, I think you have to pick one of the two scenarios.

1. Allow cell dragging and dropping (which includes double-clicking on a cell border or fill handle and annoying you or possibly filling data down rows - which you can simply click the Undo button for)

2. Don't allow cell dragging and dropping which turns off the double-click functionality as well as using the fill handle to fill down cells. You could use the Edit -> Fill -> Down method still.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back