Moving from empty dropdown list to next in order to look up value

Jarlath

Hi,

I am currently using the below formula to find the value in my table:

{=IFERROR(INDEX($D$45:$D$404,SMALL(IF($B$19=$A$45:$A$404,ROW($A$45:$B$404)-MIN(ROW($A$45:$A$404))+1,""),ROW(A2))),"")}

A dropdown list is contained in cell b19, there are others in cell b25, and b11.

I need this formula to recognise that if b25 is empty move to b19, if b19 is empty then use b11.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Kind Regards

Jarlath

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Use the name manager, use_value=IF(NOT(ISBLANK($B$19)),$B$19,IF(NOT(ISBLANK($B$25)),$B$25,$B$11)). I used the not function so it would check in the most likely order, you could reorder it to shorten it by excluding the NOTs. $B$19 in your formula would be replaced with use_value.

Upvote 0
Use the name manager, use_value=IF(NOT(ISBLANK($B$19)),$B$19,IF(NOT(ISBLANK($B$25)),$B$25,$B$11)). I used the not function so it would check in the most likely order, you could reorder it to shorten it by excluding the NOTs. $B$19 in your formula would be replaced with use_value.

Thanks for your help, I can't seem to get this to work.

Would it be possible to lay it out as if B19 wasn't in the original formaula.

So using the name manager method and I want to check b25 first, if blank move to b19 and then if blank move to B11. This is the first (and probably last) time I will use this formula type and I can't quite get my head around it. Thanks for your help

J

Upvote 0
original formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX($D$45:$D$404,SMALL(IF(use_value=$A$45:$A$404,ROW($A$45:$B$404)-MIN(ROW($A$45:$A$404))+1,""),ROW(A2))),""), array entered
use_value:
=IF(NOT(ISBLANK($B$25)),$B$25,IF(NOT(ISBLANK($B$19)),$B$19,$B$11))

I interpret what you're doing as finding the 2nd match to one of 3 values in order of B25, B19, & B11, is that correct?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back