MsgBox Every X Amount of Minutes

thefastlane

Hey I was wondering if it was possible to have a MsgBox pop-up every X amount of minutes. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
And euhm... What's the purpose of that? Too much time on your hands and you want to close the MsgBox'es yourself? ;)

Seriously, what is the business need?

Upvote 0
And euhm... What's the purpose of that? Too much time on your hands and you want to close the MsgBox'es yourself? ;)

Seriously, what is the business need?

Haha No, we have multiple computers in our office as well as users who work on a lot of the same spreadsheets. Also, excel will sometimes crash on us, leaving several workers with a lot of unsaved changes gone. I was hoping to simply have a MsgBox that popped up every 20 min or so to remind the user to SAVE his work. In the future we might link it to something, but right now I want to hammer it in that they need to save their work.

Upvote 0
Excel has built-in functionality to save each x minutes... Did you know that?
Caveat: I don't know if that works when users share the same workbook, which (sharing workbooks), honestly, is a no-go in Excel. It's too risky most of the time.

Upvote 0
I did, but sometimes we don't want it to save automatically. I've worked on a template for a worksheet that we use repeatedly for different jobs, and screwed something up in the sheet... At that point I wouldn't want the auto-save feature on. There have also been times when someone messed up a perfectly good template or sheet while entering in data, so we wouldn't want it there either. Also, we have a dropbox(cloud storage)that we save our excel sheets to, so everyone can access them(just not at the same time).

Upvote 0
Well, you could use Application.OnTime:
Application.OnTime Method (Excel)

And many other topics here at MrExcel and elsewhere.
As I'm not a fan of these kind of methods, nor did I use it a lot in the past,
I suggest that you look for example code in other topics, and change to suit your purposes.
Again caveat, VBA and these kind of macro's might not work when sharing workbooks.

Upvote 0
I did, but sometimes we don't want it to save automatically. I've worked on a template for a worksheet that we use repeatedly for different jobs, and screwed something up in the sheet... At that point I wouldn't want the auto-save feature on. There have also been times when someone messed up a perfectly good template or sheet while entering in data, so we wouldn't want it there either. Also, we have a dropbox(cloud storage)that we save our excel sheets to, so everyone can access them(just not at the same time).

Surely rather than spend time creating processing overhead and an ugly work around then just applying good practises would be beneficial?

Don't work on your live template, take a copy and work on that, and then when you've finished publish it somewhere for the users and keep a clean/safe copy elsewhere?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back