Multiple indent levels in a single cell

narramist

Hi there,

I'm looking to create multiple levels of indent in a single Excel cell, as a way of displaying hierarchy of information. Here's the situation:

I'm currently preparing a list of files and am using an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of each file. Each line in my spreadsheet is a different file, with unique identifying information in each column. Even though I need all this information stored in separate cells for usability, I also have two master cells for each line that regroup the information displayed in other cells.

Here's a simplified version of what the worksheet looks like so far:

NOTE: because this forum automatically deletes multiple subsequent spaces, I am using the notation [ ] to represent about 5 blank spaces, or one level of indent in this post. The bracket characters are not actually meant to appear in Excel.

ABCDEFGH
1Master CodeMaster TitlePrimPrimary Series TitleSecSecondary Series TitleFileUnique File Name
2100-05/FFTIPRIMARY TITLE FOR 100 SERIES
[ ]Secondary Title for 05 Subseries
[ ][ ]First File Title
100PRIMARY TITLE FOR 100 SERIES05Secondary Title for 05 SubseriesFFTIFirst File Title
3200-20/AFTIPRIMARY TITLE FOR 200 SERIES
[ ]Secondary Title for 20 Subseries
[ ][ ]Another File Title that is longer and wraps around
200PRIMARY TITLE FOR 200 SERIES20Secondary Title for 20 SubseriesAFTIAnother File Title that is longer and wraps around

<tbody>
</tbody>

The alphanumeric codes in columns C, E, G, and the file name in H are entered manually.

The titles in columns D and F are entered using VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP formulas that cross-reference that codes I enter in C, and E to a separate workbook that has all the codes and titles catalogued.

The formula in A2 is =C2&"-"&E2&"/"&G2 to build the unique file code.

The formula in B2 is =D2&CHAR(10)&"[ ]"&F2&CHAR(10)&"[ ][ ]"&H2

I would like the information in the B cells to display in the following way:

PRIMARY SERIES TITLE
[ ]Secondary Series Title
[ ][ ]Unique File Name

This is a display convention for the project I am working on. My B formula currently inserts 5 and 10 spaces before the second and third line, as a makeshift way of indenting the information for hierarchy.

My B column is currently wide enough that the primary and secondary titles display on a single line each, but the unique file name is sometimes long and wraps around to the next line without an indent, like you can see in my example above.

I tried indenting the information in columns F and H but the levels of indent do not carry over to column B.

Is there any way I can pull off a multi-level indent system that will display all the information from a given cell at a unique indent?

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back